This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. This project is sponsored by Fairfield World, but all opinions and thoughts are my own. Additional supplies for this project were provided by Red Heart.
I love searching for good finds in my grandmother’s button collection. I can always rediscover some buttons for a project. (If you also love the combination of buttons and crochet, you may like my free crochet pattern for the Layered Button Cuff.)
When I started working out my design for Norman Buttons the Snowman Pillow, I knew I would need a lot of buttons. I wanted them to match, too, so I had a little adventure and stroll down memory lane in the button boxes.
There’s a bit of sewing involved when putting together this snowman pillow, since you’ll need to add his hat and carrot nose to his face.
As for the crochet parts, you’ll make a front panel in the round. That’s where Norman Buttons’s face will get his character. Then you’ll crochet all the other pieces (the back panel, buttonhole panel, carrot nose, and hat) flat in rows. You’ll seem it all together with sturdy single crochet, so you can get years of holiday fun out of Norman Buttons the Snowman Pillow!
I like to include button bands on my pillows so you can easily remove the pillow cover for washing. With two cats with sensitive stomachs, I know all about removing pillowcases. Enjoy!
Norman Buttons the Snowman Pillow
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Fits a 12” (30.5 cm) square pillow form.
- Red Heart Super Saver yarn (100% acrylic, 7 oz/198 g, 364 yd/333 m) – 1 skein each in 311 White (CA), 334 Buff (CB), 256 Carrot (CC), and 312 Black (CD), or approximately 40 yd (36.5 m) in CA, 225 yd (206 m) in CB, 15 yd (14 m) in CC, and 40 yd (36.5 m) in CD in any medium weight yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn or tapestry needle with eye small enough to sew through buttons.
- Sew through or shank buttons:
- 0.75” (2 cm) buttons – 6 for smile,
- 1.5” (4 cm) buttons – 2 for eyes, and
- 0.875” (2.5 cm) buttons – 2 for back closure.
- Fairfield Crafter’s Choice 12” x 12” Basic Pillow Form.
- Stitch marker or scrap yarn.
- Front Panel = 6.5” (16.5 cm) diameter through Rnd 6 in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Get the free crochet pattern here on the Fairfield website.
If you make your own Norman Buttons the Snowman Pillow, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Norman Buttons the Snowman Pillow to your Ravelry favorites or queue.