Do you remember that restless feeling from the night before Christmas in childhood? Well, even Santa needs to get some rest before the big night! The crochet Sleepy Santa Pillow pattern makes a cute and cozy pillow for any child to cuddle with. It also makes a great decorative project for cheering up your home around the holidays.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. This project is sponsored by Fairfield World, but all opinions and thoughts are my own. Additional supplies for this project were provided by Red Heart.
This is the last in a series of three pillows I designed for Fairfield for the holiday season, and it just might be my favorite. If you missed the other two, check out Norman Buttons the Snowman Pillow and the Christmas Tree Pillow.
I did a lot of sketches before I actually finished this pillow because I had so many different ideas about how I wanted him to look. In the end, inspiration struck and I realized that Santa needs sleep, too. I remember how hard it could be for my mom to get me to bed on Christmas Eve because I didn’t want to miss out on seeing Santa.
Originally, I was going to make the whole project using just the Red Heart Super Saver yarn, but I’m so glad that I actually went through with using the Red Heart Loop-It yarn, too. I love how the beard and hair turned out! I included step-by-step pictures for incorporating the Loop-It yarn in the pattern.
Another bonus of using the Loop-It: no need to make button holes! The yarn will keep your project closed, and you can still take off the pillow case to wash it in case of spills.
The nose is stuffed with Fairfield Poly-Fil Fiber Filling. Even though it “sticks out,” the nose is pretty soft and squishy. Tip: Unlike with softies, don’t stuff the nose too much. That will let you still get some rest on this cozy pillow if necessary.
If you don’t want to give Santa a break, you could also embroider a different expression, including open eyes, on his face.
But seriously, don’t you want to curl up for a nap with the Sleepy Santa Pillow at your side?
Sleepy Santa Pillow
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
Even Santa needs to get some sleep before the big night!
- Fits a 12” (30.5 cm) square pillow form.
- Red Heart Super Saver yarn (100% acrylic, 7 oz/198 g, 364 yd/333 m) – 1 skein each in 319 Cherry Red (CA), 311 White (CB), 334 Buff (CC), and 312 Black (CD), or approximately 168 yd (153.5 m) in CA, 105 yd (96 m) in CB, 55 yd (50 m) in CC, and 5 yd (4.5 m) in CD in any medium weight yarn.
- Red Heart Loop-It yarn (100% polyester, 3.5 oz/100 g, 7.6 yd/7 m) – 1 skein in 115 Snow Way (CE), or approximately 5 yd (4.5 m) in any jumbo weight loop yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn or tapestry needle with eye small enough to sew through buttons.
- 75” (2 cm) sew through or shank button – 4 buttons.
- Stitch marker.
- Fairfield Crafter’s Choice 12” x 12” Basic Pillow Form.
- Small amount of Fairfield Poly-Fil Fiber Filling.
- 15 sc = 4” (10 cm) across. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Get the free crochet pattern here on the Fairfield website.
If you make your own Sleepy Santa Pillow, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Sleepy Santa Pillow to your Ravelry favorites or queue.