Today’s knitting pattern is the Seeds and Cables Scarf. It’s the second pattern in the Finishing Touches Knit Along with KAL Corner. If you love the bold look of cables, this may become your new favorite scarf. And, the seed stitch background sets off the cables while keeping your project from curling.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand.
I love the look of cables, but I’m a relatively slow knitter. When Lion Brand released the Wool-Ease Thick and Quick Bonus Bundle yarn, I was pretty excited. It’s a larger skein of Wool-Ease Thick and Quick with enough yarn for a scarf in one skein.
I love that the cables really pop, but with a super bulky yarn, I can knit up the scarf much faster. And, of course, there are fewer yarn tails to weave in with one skein than with two!
If you prefer an infinity scarf, I’ve included instructions for seaming the scarf together. You may want to leave off the garter stitch borders, but I actually think they would add a nice touch on an infinity scarf.
(I just tucked the ends of the scarf underneath for the photo. My version is still a regular straight scarf.)
I chose a marled color and I love how it turned out! This would also look great in a solid color yarn.
The Seeds and Cable Scarf is the second pattern in the Finishing Touches Knit Along with KAL Corner. Join us for more knitting fun!
- Sign up for our newsletter to get an email when a new pattern is released.
- You can join in by knitting the patterns as you have time.
- By the end of the KAL, you’ll have up to 24 knitted projects. You’ll also have the chance to win great prizes!
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #KALCorner on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other knitters, join the KAL Corner Facebook group or visit this thread in the Underground Crafter Ravelry group
- Use the button below on Ravelry or elsewhere social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
If you make your own Seeds and Cables Scarf, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Seeds and Cables Scarf to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Seeds and Cables Scarf
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
Make a bold statement with classic cables. The seed stitch background sets off the cables while keeping your project from curling.
- Adult: 6.5” (16.5 cm) width x 48” (122 cm) length.
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick Bonus Bundle yarn (80% acrylic/20% wool, 10 oz/283 g, 174 yd/157 m) – 1 skeins in 542 Seaglass, or 2 skeins of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn, or approximately 174 yd (157 m) in any super bulky weight yarn.
- US 15/10 mm knitting needles, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Cable needle.
- 19 sts = 6.5” (16.5 cm) across in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- C4F – 4-stitch cable – Sl 2 sts to cn, hold cn at front, k2, k2 from cable needle. New Stitch a Day has a helpful video tutorial for the C4F cable here.
- cn – cable needle
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- p – purl
- rep – repeat
- sl – slip stitch knitwise
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- This scarf can be easily made into an infinity scarf. At the end, fasten off with a long yarn tail (approximately 24”/61 cm) for seaming. Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail and seam short edges together using the mattress stitch. A photo tutorial for seaming with the mattress stitch is available here.
- CO 19 or any multiple of 7 sts, + 5 sts.
- Row 1: K to last st, p1.
- Row 2: Sl 1, k to last st, p1.
- Rows 3-4: Rep Row 2 twice.
- Row 5: (Right Side) Sl 1, *p1, k1, p1,** k4; rep from * across to last 4 sts, rep from * to **, p1.
- Row 6: Sl 1, *p1, k1, p1,** p4; rep from * across to last 4 sts, rep from * to **, p1
- Row 7: Sl 1, *p1, k1, p1,** C4F; rep from * across to last 4 sts, rep from * to **, p1.
- Row 8: Rep Row 6.
- Rows 9-12: Rep Rows 5-6 twice.
- Rep Rows 5-12 until scarf measures approximately 2” (5 cm) (or length of your Rows 1-4) shorter than desired length, ending after Row 6.
- Rows 13-16: Rep Row 2, 4 times.
- BO in pattern for Row 2.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
2 thoughts on “Knitting Pattern: Seeds and Cables Scarf | Finishing Touches Knit Along #2”
This is a beautiful scarf, Marie! Thank you!