It’s officially autumn and you know what that means — it’s time for the handmade holiday season! For the third year in a row, I’ll be sharing 12 weeks of roundups including free gift ideas for the handmade holidays! I’m kicking off this series with 34 free tutorials sharing how to make a blanket (or a throw, afghan, or quilt), including 20 crochet, 6 knit, and 8 sewing and quilting projects. I’ve also included a Cricut quilt tutorial and links to several more roundups with over 100 more projects to choose from, so you’re sure to find some creative inspiration for your next project. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
34+ Free Handmade Blanket Projects to Make Great Gifts
12 Weeks of Handmade Holiday Gift Ideas Roundup by Underground Crafter
Blankets, quilts, afghans, throws, and baby blankets are some of my favorite handmade projects to gift! There’s nothing quite like wrapping yourself up in a handmade hug. There are so many different ways how to make a blanket and I’ve included some of my recent favorites in this collection. Blankets can add a decorative touch to the recipient’s home while also keeping them warm through the winter.
20 Free Crochet and Tunisian Crochet Patterns
These patterns include baby blankets, throws, and bed cover blankets for babies, children, and adults made with motifs, in one piece, and with stripes.
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Sweet Stratus Tunisian Baby Blanket by Made With a Twist: This striped Tunisian crochet blanket uses simple stitches. It’s one of 30+ patterns by 30 designers included in the 30 Days of Cozy Crochet Pattern Super Bundle.
- Beautiful Sunny Day Square Blanket by Crafting Friends Designs: This continuous blanket includes several video tutorials and pictures of each round.
- Linen Stitch Baby Blanket by Yarn + Chai: This simple, striped blanket also includes a video tutorial.
- Honeycomb Ripple Baby Blanket by CrochetKim: This Tunisian crochet pattern also includes links to helpful video tutorials.
- Hubby’s Hexagon Blanket by Winding Road Crochet: The pictured blanket is made with 12” hexagons but the pattern also includes instructions for 4” and 8” hexagons.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Happy Hues Sampler Baby Blanket by YARNutopia: This pattern includes instructions for customizing the size as well as a video tutorial.
- Calm Dreams Baby Blanket by Malloo: This heirloom, textured baby blanket makes a great gift.
- At the Shore Blanket by Underground Crafter: This striped baby blanket pattern brings the beach indoors all year round.
- Llama and Cactus C2C Afghan by Moogly: This on-trend graphic throw is supplemented with these videos with corner-to-corner crochet tips.
- Wrap Me in Sunshine by Nana’s Crafty Home: This continuous square blanket is crocheted with a self-patterning yarn to make the colorwork easy.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Aubergine Afghan by A Crocheted Simplicity: This blanket is made with large motifs and is also available as a kit with yarn and pattern here on Lion Brand.
- Bahama Waves Baby Blanket by Stitch in Progress: This beautiful, textured ripple blanket includes both written instructions and an international stitch symbol chart.
- Healing Granny Ripple Blanket by Oombawka Design: This classic pattern is available in 6 sizes.
- Seed Stitch Baby Blanket by Itchin’ for Some Stitchin’: This baby blanket crochets up quickly in a super bulky yarn.
- Ferguson Lap Blanket by Two Brothers Blankets: This heirloom textured blanket coordinates with a hat and scarf pattern.
- Medieval Square Afghan by Meladora’s Creations: This lacy motif blanket is available in 5 sizes and includes video tutorials.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Mr. Cuddles by Jessie At Home: This cozy throw uses several variations on the v-stitch.
- The Fireworks Throw by The Blue Elephants: This one-piece, striped blanket is made with a super bulky yarn.
- Primrose and Proper Blanket by Kirsten Holloway Designs: This one-piece pattern comes in 3 sizes and includes instructions for customizing the size.
- Gold Coast Lapghan by Stitches n Scraps: This one-piece project includes written instructions, a chart, and a video tutorial.
6 Free Knitting Patterns
These knitting patterns include dress blankets, baby blankets and throws, and motif blankets where the size is easily customized. Shown clockwise from top left corner.
- Taos Lap Blanket by Two of Wands: This intermediate level pattern is inspired by the Southwestern United States. It’s also available as a kit with yarn and pattern here on Lion Brand.
- Secret Garden by Frankie Brown: This pattern uses diagonally knit squares to create an interesting look.
- Snowcone Heart Baby Blanket by One Dog Woof: This pattern includes a chart for making the heart. It’s also available as a kit with yarn and pattern here on Lion Brand.
- Ice Queen Dress Blanket by Melody’s Makings: This rippled dress blanket is available in 3 child sizes.
- Chunky Chevron Fast Knit Baby Blanket by Jessie At Home: This ripple blanket works up quickly in jumbo yarn.
- Plaid Blanket by Sewrella: This blanket combines a simple knit pattern with surface crochet plaid. It’s also available as a kit with yarn and pattern here on Lion Brand.
8 Free Sewing and Quilting Patterns
These projects include quilted, tied, and faux chenille blankets. Shown clockwise from top left corner.
- Blue Bargello Quilt via FaveQuilts: This tutorial guides you through creating your own bargello quilt top.
- The Largest Quilt I’ve Ever Made by Always Expect Moore: This pattern includes all 12 blocks from this Quilt Block of the Month. Each block pattern includes a video.
- Starry Skies Quilt by Flamingo Toes: This colorful project includes step-by-step pictures.
- Merry Stars Christmas Quilt by Sew Can She via FaveQuilts: This festive holiday quilt tutorial includes a detailed cut list.
- Polar Vortex Quilt by In Color Order via FaveQuilts: This project is perfect for using up fat quarters.
- Faux Chenille Blanket by Life Sew Savory: This pattern includes step-by-step photos and a video tutorial.
- Mountain Lodge Flannel Quilt by Simple Simon & Company via FaveQuilts: This tied, flannel quilt combines solid fabric squares with simple 4-patch blocks.
- Cheater Quilt by Heather Handmade: This tutorial shows you how to use checkered or striped fabric to make a quilt without patchwork.
Still looking for more handmade gift idea inspiration? Check out these roundups for over 100 more project ideas!
- 37 Free Patterns for Handmade Blankets (including crochet, knitting, no-sew, quilting, and sewing projects)
- 20 Free Crochet Patterns for Continuous Motif Blankets
- 50 Free Handmade Blankets That Make Great Gifts (including crochet, finger knitting, knitting, no-sew, quilting, and sewing projects)
- 9 Free Crochet Patterns for Christmas Blankets