The Eastern Star motif is a six-pointed, lacy crochet star that makes a pretty appliqué or ornament. I’ve linked to a tutorial for making an easy, no-sew felt-backed ornament version that does double duty as a gift tag!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this post were generously provided by Velcro Companies. Camera generously provided by B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.
If you make your own Eastern Star motif project, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Eastern Star to your favorites or queue on Ravelry.
Eastern Star Motif
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This six-pointed, lacy star makes a pretty motif, appliqué, or ornament.Use this tutorial to turn the Eastern Star into a felt-backed ornament gift tag with VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Ovals!
- Approximately 4.25” (11 cm) across from point to point.
- Yarnspirations Patons Grace yarn (100% mercerized cotton, 1.75 oz/50 g, 125 yd/136 m) – 1 skein in 005 Snow, or approximately 60 yd (55 m) in any light weight yarn.
- US Size F-5/3.75 mm crochet hook, or any needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd – Round
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- () Repeat instructions between parentheses into same stitch or space.
- Click here to find out how to turn this into a felt-backed ornament gift tag with VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Ovals!
- Ch 6, sk 5 ch, sl st to next ch to join and form ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, [(sc, ch 3) in ring] 12 times, join with sl st to first sc. (12 sts + 12 ch-3 sp)
- Rnd 2: Sl st in each of next 2 ch, ch 1, sc in ch-3 sp, [ch 3, sc in next ch-3 sp] 11 times, ch 1, join with hdc (counts as end of ch-3 sp) to first sc. (12 sts + 12 ch-3 sp)
- Rnd 3: [*Ch 6, sc in next ch-3 sp,** ch 3, sc in next ch-3 sp] 5 times, rep from * to ** once, ch 1, join with dc (counts as end of ch-3 sp) to hdc from previous rnd. (12 sts + 6 ch-6 sp + 6 ch-3 sp)
- Rnd 4: [(5 dc, ch 2, 5 dc) in next ch-6 sp, sc in next ch-3 sp] 6 times, join with sl st to first dc. Fasten off. (66 sts + 6 ch-2 sp)
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.