The Mini Sweater was inspired by a crochet sweater ornament pattern I made years ago. The Mini Sweater is a tiny sweater that you can use as an appliqué, pin, or ornament. I’ve linked to a tutorial for making an easy, no-sew felt-backed ornament version that does double duty as a gift tag!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this post were generously provided by Velcro Companies, Clover USA, and Yarnspirations Red Heart. Camera generously provided by B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.
If you make your own Mini Sweater project, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Mini Sweater to your favorites or queue on Ravelry.
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This tiny sweater can be used as an appliqué, pin, or ornament.Use this tutorial to turn the Mini Sweater into a felt-backed ornament gift tag with VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Ovals!
- Approximately 2.5” (8 cm) tall x 4.5” ( cm) across from arm to arm.
- Red Heart Super Saver yarn (100% acrylic, 7 oz/198 g, 364 yd/333 m) – 1 skein each in 319 Cherry Red (CA) and 368 Paddy Green (CB), or approximately 30 yd (27.5 m) in CA and 15 yd (14 m) in CB in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size F-5/3.75 mm crochet hook, or any needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Clover Quick Locking Stitch Marker Set.
- Yarn needle.
- Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Stitches should be small so that ornament backing doesn’t show through.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- invdec – invisible decrease – Insert hook in front loop only of each of next 2 sts, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops. Planet June has helpful photo and video tutorials for this decrease here.
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Click here to find out how to turn this into a felt-backed ornament gift tag with VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Ovals!
- For two-color version, use CB for foundation chain through Set Up Row. Change to CA in last yo of final sc in Set Up Row. Work pattern in CA through Sleeve Rnd 4. Change to CB in last yo of final sc in Sleeve Rnd 4. Work Sleeve Rnd 5 in CB.
- Starting at neck, ch 17.
- Set Up Row: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next 16 ch, place stitch marker in last sc and move up each Rnd to mark position. (16 sts)
- Rnd 1: Being careful not to twist, begin crocheting in the round in unjoined spirals, [sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st] 4 times. (20 sts)
- Rnd 2: [Sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st] 4 times. (24 sts)
- Rnd 3: [Sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in next st] 4 times. (28 sts)
- Rnd 4: [Sc in next 6 sts, 2 sc in next st] 4 times. (32 sts)
- Rnd 5: Sc in next 4 sts, skip 8 sts for armhole, sc in next 8 sts, skip 8 sts for armhole, sc in next 4 sts. (16 sts + 2 armholes)
- Rnd 6: Sc in next 4 sts, skip armhole, sc in next 8 sts, skip armhole, sc in next 4 sts. (16 sts)
- Rnd 7: [Sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st] 4 times. (20 sts)
- Rnd 8: Sc in each st around.
- Rnds 9-11: Rep Rnd 8, 3 times.
- Rnd 12: [Sc in next 3 sts, invdec] 4 times. Fasten off yarn. (16 sts)
- Sleeve Rnd 1: Join with sl st to any st skipped for armhole, ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 7 sts, place stitch marker in last sc and move up each Rnd to mark position, continue crocheting in the round in unjoined spirals. (8 sts)
- Sleeve Rnd 2: Sc in each st around.
- Sleeve Rnds 3-5: Rep Sleeve Rnd 2, 3 times. Fasten off.
- Repeat as for First Sleeve in other armhole.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.