It’s time for the first weekly roundup of this year’s Christmas in July Make Along! Our theme this week is handmade gift ideas for children, including babies, infants, toddlers, children, tweens, and teens. Find your next project in this collection of free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns for softies, blankets and pillows, toys, accessories, and more!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
There are a lot of great handmade gift ideas for children out there, so I pulled together some of the latest patterns from my favorite bloggers to include. I’ve tried to include a range of project ideas including some that are gender neutral and ideas for all different ages.
This roundup is the first in the second annual Christmas in July Make Along. Get all the details on this fun virtual event, including a list of participating bloggers, the schedule, and how to enter to win the prizes from Baby Lock, Clover USA, Knitter’s Pride, and WeCrochet in this blog post.
- You can join the Christmas in July Make Along by crocheting, knitting, sewing, or making the projects as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CIJMakeAlong2020 on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crafters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group.
- By the end of the Make Along, you’ll have up to 31 awesome projects. Get ready for the handmade holiday season while having fun with us!
- If you’d like regular email reminders during the Make Along, sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter.
- Don’t forget to enter the giveaway here by Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
36+ Free Handmade Gift Ideas for Children
Whether you’re looking for project inspiration for babies, children, or teens, you’re sure to find some great projects in this collection of handmade gift ideas for children! I’ve included 21 free crochet patterns, 9 free knitting patterns, and 6 free sewing patterns. And, if that’s not enough, at the end of this post you can find links to over 100 more handmade gift ideas for kids!
21 Crochet Patterns
These 21 free crochet patterns include baby blankets, softies, puppets and activity toys, and accessories for babies, kids, and teens.
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Caterina the Cat by Underground Crafter: This pocket-sized softie can be easily transformed into an ornament or gift tag.
- Indoor Snowballs by Hooked by Kati: These indoor snowballs work up quickly and can also be used for outdoor snowball fights in warmer climates!
- Ornament Kawaii Cuddler by 3amgracedesigns: This holiday-themed jumbo softie is perfect for hugging.
- Simple Slouch Hat by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This gender-neutral pattern is available in six infant, child, and adult sizes, so you can make a set for the whole family.
- Penguin Amigurumi by Spin a Yarn: This softie is a companion to the Penguin Ornament pattern.
- Dragon Amigurumi by Ami Amour: This winged dragon includes a video tutorial and is one in a series of Open Mouth Amigurumi patterns.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Friendly Sloth by The Friendly Red Fox: This huggable softie is part of the Amigurumi A to Z series.
- Alien Puppet by YARNutopia: This cheerful pattern also includes a video tutorial.
- My Fluffy Buddy by Trifles N Treasures: This horned creature is crocheted with fluffy yarn and then brushed.
- Crafty Cactus Pillow by A Crafty Concept: This pillow is just right for teen home décor or as a softie for a younger child. The pattern includes a video tutorial.
- Donut Play Food by Creative Crochet Workshop: This is one of a series of play food patterns that make great gifts.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Which Way Baby Blanket by Caitlin’s Contagious Creations: This beginner-friendly blanket makes a great gift to welcome a baby.
- The XOXO Earwarmer by Crafting for Weeks: This earwarmer pattern is available in five sizes from baby through adult and is part of the XOXO series of accessory patterns.
- Puff Rainbow Earrings by Divine Debris: These vibrant earrings would make a great teen gift.
- Cross-Stitched Lamb Cinched Backpack by Yarn + Chai: This simple crochet backpack includes detailed instructions and a chart for cross stitching the lamb.
- Boho Style Earrings by Crochet for You: These fringed earrings are great scrap busters and they would make a great gift for teens.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Masked Super Hero by Stitches n Scraps: This adorable doll pattern includes detailed progress pictures.
- Amigurumi Sally Doll by Oombawka Design Crochet: This curly-haired doll includes patterns for a skirt or a shirt and overalls.
- Teddy Bear Planter by Thoresby Cottage: This adorable planter is a great way to introduce children to caring for plants.
- Octopus Squish by Moogly: This jumbo softie can be stuffed with a microbead pillow ball or fiber fill. The pattern includes a video tutorial.
- Jeremy the Giraffe by The Blue Elephants: This huggable softie measures nearly 2” (.6 m) tall!
9 Knitting Patterns
These nine free knitting patterns include bookmarks, toys and doll clothes, baby blankets, and accessories for babies, kids, and teens.
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Bianca Bookmark by ChristaCoDesign: This beginner-friendly pattern would make a special gift when paired with a book.
- Animal Print Bag by Briana K Designs: This cruelty-free bag is on trend for your favorite teen.
- Little Red Riding Hood/Wolf in Granny’s Clothing Topsy-Turvy Doll by Sarah Keen: This fairy tale inspired doll includes a picnic basket accessory.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- American Girl Doll Peplum Jacket by ABC Knitting Patterns: This classic button-up jacket is great for dressing up American Girl dolls.
- Baby Alpaca Hat by Little Red Window: The 12 month size of this pattern is available for free and other sizes can be purchased.
- Bubblegum Sweater by ByKaterina: This adorable striped sweater pattern is available in five sizes from 2T to 10T and includes a video tutorial.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Polar Bear Mittens by Love.Life.Yarn: These adorable baby/toddler mittens are perfect for protecting small hands in cold weather.
- Peaks and Valleys Beanie by Melody’s Makings: This pattern in super bulky yarn works up quickly and is available in three sizes from baby through adult.
- Crayon Box Sampler Afghan by Underground Crafter: This simple stitch sampler baby blanket in vibrant colors is a great way to practice stitches.
6 Sewing Patterns
These six free sewing patterns include toys and softies, a quilt and pillows, and adorable hats for babies, kids, and teens.
Shown clockwise from top left corner:
- Llama Finger Puppet by Felt with Love Designs: Gift a finger puppet set including the llama and easy sew creatures linked up in the pattern.
- Reading Pocket Pillow by 5 Little Monsters: This simple sewing project is a great way to encourage reading and can be made in two to four fabrics.
- Patchwork Gingham Pillows by Flamingo Toes: This pattern includes both traditional and alternative piecing methods for these pom pom embellished pillows.
- Stuffed Cat by Swoodson Says: This softie makes the perfect gift for any pet lover.
- DIY Rag Quilt by Hello Creative Family: This fabric for this rag quilt was cut with the Cricut Maker.
- Monster Mash Up by Fleece Fun: These monster-themed hat patterns are available in seven sizes from baby through adult.
Looking for more handmade gift ideas for children? Check out these roundups for 100+ more ideas!
- 36+ Free Patterns for Penguins including crochet, knitting, and sewing projects
- 33+ Handmade Gift Ideas for Kids including crochet, knitting, sewing, and crafts projects
- 52+ Free Patterns for Softies including crochet, knitting, and sewing projects