It’s time for the fourth weekly roundup of this year’s Christmas in July Make Along! Our theme this week is handmade gift ideas for the home, including projects that can decorate the home year round and special holiday decorations. Find your next project in this collection of free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns and crafts tutorials!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
Whether you like to decorate your home for the holidays or just love handmade home decor, you’ll love the 36+ handmade gift ideas for home in this roundup. I’ve included Christmas, winter, and seasonal projects, as well as patterns and projects that can be used year round, so you’re sure to find a great gift (or something to make for your own home).
This roundup is the fourth in the second annual Christmas in July Make Along. Get all the details on this fun virtual event, including a list of participating bloggers, the schedule, and how to enter to win the prizes from Baby Lock, Clover USA, Knitter’s Pride, and WeCrochet in this blog post.
- You can join the Christmas in July Make Along by crocheting, knitting, sewing, or making the projects as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CIJMakeAlong2020 on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crafters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group.
- By the end of the Make Along, you’ll have up to 31 awesome projects. Get ready for the handmade holiday season while having fun with us!
- If you’d like regular email reminders during the Make Along, sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter.
- Don’t forget to enter the giveaway here by Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
36+ Handmade Gift Ideas for Home
Whether you’re looking for something handmade to decorate your home with for the holidays, a great gift idea for a holiday host, or just a gift that would be great in your loved one’s home, you’re sure to find your next project in this collection of 36+ handmade gift ideas for home! I’ve included 19 free crochet patterns, 6 free knitting patterns, 6 free sewing patterns, and 5 free crafts tutorials. And, if that’s not enough, at the end of this post you can find links to over 100 more handmade gift ideas!
19 Crochet Patterns
These 19 free crochet patterns for gift ideas for the home include ornaments, pillows, wall hangings, blankets, dishcloths, and more!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Dishcloth Trio by Stitch in Progress: These three simple dishcloths are designed with variations of the bead stitch.
- Cherub Ornament by Underground Crafter: This pattern was originally published in a special angel issue of I Like Crochet.
- Gnome C2C Pillow by Nana’s Crafty Home: This cute pillow uses corner-to-corner crochet and includes many linked tutorials to guide you through making your version.
- Gnome Candy Ornaments by Moogly: These adorable gnomes or elves can each hold a tasty treat and can be used as ornaments or as part of an advent calendar.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Santa Wall Hanging by Pattern Paradise: This pattern is one of twelve great free patterns in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Crochet Along.
- Christmas C2C Mini Lapghan by 3amgracedesigns: This adorable project includes five different corner-to-corner holiday designs.
- Buffalo Plaid Bear C2C Blanket by E’Claire Makery: This pattern is also available as a kit with yarn and pattern from Lion Brand.
- Velvet Plaid Blanket by Love Life Yarn: This tasseled plaid blanket pattern is available in three sizes (with an additional three sizes available in the ad-free PDF) and works up quickly in super bulky yarn.
- The Not Knit Dishcloth by Desamour Designs: This knit-look pattern is a great way to practice Tunisian crochet.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Desktop Succulent by Yarn + Chai: This one-skein pattern includes video and photo tutorials for assembling the leaves.
- Teddy Bear Pot Cover by Thoresby Cottage: This adorable planter cover could also be used as a basket.
- Butterfly Mosaic Pillow by By Katerina: This beautiful pillow is crocheted in squares and includes a video tutorial.
- Starburst Blanket by Designs by Diligence: This spike stitch granny square pattern can be made as a scrappy blanket or with planned colors.
- Festive Mistletoe Ball by Fiber Flux: This cheerful ornament or decoration pattern also includes a video tutorial.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Plaid Heart Pillow by Nicki’s Homemade Crafts: This buffalo plaid pillow includes a heart made with surface crochet.
- Isla Shag Pillow by One Dog Woof: This pattern includes a video tutorial.
- Plaid Plant Basket by Whistle and Ivy: This basket uses the tartan plaid crochet technique and includes a link to a detailed tutorial.
- Jingle Bell Mini Wreath by Stitches n Scraps: This quick home décor project includes detailed photos and tips for using buttons or beads instead of the small bells.
- Ice Pop Christmas Trees by Haak Maar Raak via AllFreeHolidayCrafts: These scrap yarn trees make festive table décor.
6 Knitting Patterns
These six free knitting patterns for gift ideas for the home include pillows, blankets, cozies, and more!
Clockwise from top left corner:
- Slip Stitch Pillow by Edie Eckman: This minimalist pillow works up quickly with super bulky weight yarn.
- Herringbone Cozy by Briana K Designs: This planter cover tutorial includes a video for the herringbone stitch.
- Ammara Throw by The Blue Elephants: This gingham blanket is backed with fleece.
- Flickering Flame Honeycomb Cozy by Brome Fields: This lush, textured mug cozy is a great last-minute gift.
- Denim Cables Floor Pillow by Hooked for Life: This large pillow is perfect for pets, kids, or teens.
- Mitten and Stocking Ornaments by Lion Brand via AllFreeHolidayCrafts: These little ornaments would also make a great garland or gift wrap.
6 Sewing Patterns
These six free sewing patterns for gift ideas for the home include pillows, wine bags and dispensers, fabric bins, and more!
Clockwise, from top left corner:
- Upcycled Flannel Shirt Pillow by Hooked for Life: This simple sewing pattern captures two home décor trends: plaid and upcycling!
- DIY Christmas Stocking Wine Dispenser by Beginner Sewing Projects: This fun, low-sew project includes a step-by-step photo tutorial and makes a great gift for a holiday party host.
- Upcycled Sweater Wine Gift Bag by Organized 31 via AllFreeHolidayCrafts: This low-sew project is a great way to repurpose worn sweaters or thrift store finds.
- Drawstring Pull by Apple Green Cottage: This hexagon drawstring pull is a great way to add a bit of holiday fabric to a drawstring DIY Gift Bag.
- Fabric Ribbon Candy Ornaments by Crafty Staci via AllFreeHolidayCrafts: This low-sew project is a great way to use up fabric scraps and beads.
- Reversible Round Fabric Bins by DIY Danielle: These fabric bins can be sewn with holiday fabric on one side and less seasonal fabric on the other so they can be used year round.
5 Crafts Tutorials
These five free crafts tutorials for gift ideas for the home include ornaments and decorations made with hot glue, paint, glitter, and more!
Top row, from left to right:
- Snow Folx by Jessie At Home: These adorable characters are easy to make using buttons and beads, hot glue, and paint.
- Unicorn Ornament by The Farm Girl Gabs via AllFreeHolidayCrafts: This DIY project uses a fillable ornament, glitter, felt, and clay to make a unique unicorn!
- DIY Gift Box Ornament by Crayons & Cravings via AllFreeHolidayCrafts: This simple ornament is made with wooden blocks from a game, ribbon, paint, and hot glue.
Bottom row, from left to right:
- Candy Cane Mason Jar Luminary by Crafts by Amanda via AllFreeHolidayCrafts: This mason jar candle holder uses washi tape to make perfect glitter lines.
- Embroidery Hoop Wreath by The Country Chic Cottage: This project includes both photo and video tutorials.
Looking for more handmade gift ideas for the home? Check out these roundups for over 100 more ideas!
- 48+ Handmade Gift Ideas for the Home including free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns and crafts tutorials
- 34+ Handmade Blanket Projects to Make Great Gifts including free crochet, knitting, sewing, and quilting patterns
- 12 Gifts for the Home via Stitches n Scraps including free crochet and knitting patterns
- 10 Blanket Patterns via Handy Little Me including free knitting patterns