Today I’m sharing the second of three giant crochet food patterns designed for Fairfield World, the company behind Poly-Fil fiber filling. Each of these crochet food patterns has a seasonal theme. Kernal the Giant Candy Corn Softie is a sugar-free, no-calorie, huggable crochet candy corn pattern!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. This project is sponsored by Fairfield World, but all opinions and thoughts are my own. Additional materials for this project were generously provided by Clover and Lion Brand.
Earlier this year, I shared the pattern for the Giant Blueberry Snow Cone, the first in a series of three patterns I designed for Fairfield. Today’s post is inspired by the Halloween treat people either love or hate: a crochet candy corn pattern! The first thing I needed to do was to get just the right combination of orange, yellow, and white to give Kernel a lot of character. I was able to find all three colors in Lion Brand Hometown USA yarn. If you haven’t worked with Hometown USA before, it’s a soft, super bulky, acrylic yarn that often has just the right match for team colors projects.
Once I had the yarn chosen, I had to decide if I was going to make Kernel in the round or if I would make it more of a rag-doll style amigurumi crocheted in flat pieces and then seamed. I decided to go with the rag doll type.
Basically, you crochet Kernel in two big, triangular pieces. These use simple increases so the pattern is suitable for beginners. I decorated my front piece with a surprised expression using comic safety eyes and a black oval craft nose. You could also use embroidery, or buttons. Or, you could skip the face entirely if you just want to use it as a pillow.
And then you seam and stuff. The pattern includes helpful photos to guide you through the color changes when you’re seaming.
Kernel the Giant Candy Corn Softie
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This adorable, rag-doll style seasonal amigurumi softie is large enough to nap on as a pillow or to hug. Add a decorative face to give your Kernel more character.
- 15” (38 cm) tall before stuffing.
- Lion Brand Hometown USA yarn (100% acrylic, 5 oz/140 g, 81 yd/74 m) – 1 skein in 100 New York White (CA) and 2 skeins each in 133 Syracuse Orange (CB) and 158 Pittsburgh Yellow (CC), or approximately 40 yd (36.5 m) in CA, 162 yd (142 m) in CB, and 120 yd (110 m) in CC in any super bulky weight yarn.
- US Size K-10.5/6.5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- 16 mm round comic safety eyes – 1 pair.
- 13 mm black oval craft nose – 1.
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber Fill – 32 ounce bag.
- Clover Quick Locking Stitch Marker Set, or locking stitch marker.
- Yarn needle.
- 10 sc = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not required for this pattern. Stitches should be small so that fiber filling doesn’t show.
Get the free crochet pattern here on the Fairfield website.
If you make your own Kernel the Giant Candy Corn Softie, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add Kernel the Giant Candy Corn Softie to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.