The Slanted Puff Shell Stitch is a shell stitch that is similar to a v-stitch. It’s a very pretty stitch that you can use for a many projects, and I’ll be using it in an upcoming shawl pattern. I’ve included both a video tutorial and the written pattern description so you can crochet the way that you prefer to learn!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this project were generously provided by Lion Brand and WeCrochet.
If you make a project using this Slanted Puff Shell Stitch tutorial, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Slanted Puff Shell Stitch
Crochet Pattern with video by Underground Crafter
The slanted puff shell stitch pattern is similar to a v-stitch but has more texture.
- Varies based on yarn weight, needle size, tension, and number of stitches in your foundation chain.
- Smooth yarn in any weight. Lion Brand Jeans for the sample.
- Crochet hook in a size recommended for yarn weight. I used the US Size K-10.5/6.5 mm crochet hook from the WeCrochet Mosaic Crochet Hook Set.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- pf – 3-repeat puff stitch – [Yo, insert hook into st, yo and draw up a loop] 3 times in same st, yo and draw through all 7 loops on hook.
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- () Repeat instructions between parentheses in same stitch or space.
- A complete video tutorial is available below.
- If you can’t see the video above, click here to watch it on YouTube.
- Ch any multiple of 3 sts, + 2 sts.
- Set Up Row: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next st and in each st across. (Multiple of 3 sts, + 1 st)
- Row 1: Turn, skip 4 ch (counts as first dc + ch-1 sp), pf in next st, *skip 2 ch, (dc, ch 1, pf) in next st; repeat from * across to last 3 ch, skip 2 ch, dc in last ch.
- Row 2: Turn, ch 4 (counts as first dc + ch-1 sp), pf in same st, *skip pf, skip ch-1 sp, (dc, ch 1, pf) in next dc; repeat from * across to last 3 sts, skip pf, skip ch-1 sp, dc in top of third ch from previous Row.
- Repeat Row 2 until desired length is reached.
- Final Row: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st, *sc in next st, sc in next ch-1 sp, sc in next st; repeat from * across to last 3 sts, sc in next st, sc in next ch-1 sp, sc in top of third ch from previous Row.