Did you know April 9 is National Unicorn Day? In celebration, I’ve put together a collection of 30 free DIY unicorn ideas including crochet and knitting patterns, sewing projects, and more craft tutorials. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
30 Fun and Free DIY Unicorn Craft Ideas to Inspire
Unicorn Day is an annual celebration of these mythical creatures. In 2021, I’m focusing on celebrating more! To celebrate unicorns, I’ve put together this roundup of free DIY unicorn ideas, including 21 free crochet patterns, 2 free knitting patterns, and 7 free craft tutorials. These patterns and tutorials include accessories for kids and adults, home décor projects, toys and softies, and more!
21 Free Crochet Patterns
These crochet unicorn patterns include home décor projects, bags and cozies, softies, blankets, and more!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Unicorn Basket by Crafty Kitty Crochet: This pattern is one in a series of creature baskets including the Penguin Basket.
- Unicorn by Jen Hayes Creations: This is one of many adorable amigurumi patterns in the small animals collection.
- Unicorn Beanie by M and M Crochet Designs: This beanie pattern is available in three child and adult sizes.
- Unicorn Pencil Bag by 5 Little Monsters: This cute pouch is perfect for storing pencils, pens, or crochet hooks.
- Unicorn Slap Bracelet by Whistle & Ivy: Transform a slap bracelet into a treasure that can be worn or displayed on bike handles.
- Unicorn Toilet Paper Cover by Blackstone Designs: Add a touch of whimsy to your bathroom with this decorative toilet paper cover.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Unicorn Wall Hanging by A Crafty Concept: This fun home décor pattern includes a video tutorial.
- Fold Up Unicorn Play Set by Creative Crochet Workshop: This portable play set pattern includes unicorn dolls, accessories, and a fold-up mat.
- Unicorn Bag by E’Claire Makery: This bag can be used for trick-or-treating or as a purse.
- Unicorn Fanny Pack by My Fingers Fly via FaveCrafts: This adorable bag is perfect for carrying special findings.
- Cuddle Up Unicorn Blanket by Moogly: This corner-to-corner blanket pattern is available in three child sizes.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Snowicorn by Dora Does: This little amigurumi unicorn is ready for winter.
- Unicorn Backpack by Love Life Yarn: This cute backpack is sized for toddlers and pre-schoolers.
- Unicorn Scarf by Nana’s Crafty Home: This corner-to-corner project is great for adults who love unicorns.
- Unicorn Gift Card Holder by One Dog Woof: When you only have time to make a small handmade gift, this is the right one to choose for a unicorn lover!
- Unicorn Lovey by Meladora’s Creations: This baby blanket includes a huggable unicorn head.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Wanda the Unicorn Doll by The Friendly Red Fox: This adorable amigurumi doll is dressed as a unicorn.
- Unicorn Coffee Cozy by Green Fox Farm Designs: These tapestry crochet cup cozies make great gifts.
- Ragdoll Unicorn by Spin a Yarn: This sleepy amigurumi unicorn is crocheted in the flat ragdoll style.
- Unicorn Slippers by YARNutopia: This pattern is available in three women’s sizes and includes a video tutorial.
- Aurora the Unicorn by The Blue Elephants: This adorable softie pattern includes tips for making the glorious mane of rainbow hair.
7 Free Unicorn Crafts Projects
These projects include simple sewing patterns, Cricut projects, handmade bubble bath bars, and more!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Felt Unicorn by Sugar Spice and Glitter via FaveCrafts: This simple sewing project is a great craft idea for kids.
- Rainbow Unicorn T-Shirts by 5 Little Monsters: These fun designs are made for Cricut Infusible Ink transfer.
- DIY Unicorn Bubble Bars by Soap Deli News via FaveCrafts: These shea butter bubble bath based bars are cut to shape with cookie cutters.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Unicorn Planter Pots by Doodlecraft: These planters are made using polymer clay, craft paint, felt, and hot glue.
- Unicorn Book Journal by Smiling Colors via FaveCrafts: This is an easy hot glue and felt craft project.
- Magical Unicorn Pocket Pillow by Me and My Inklings via FaveCrafts: This scrappy patchwork sewing projects highlights an embroidered unicorn pocket.
- Cute Fifties Unicorn Costume by Flamingo Toes: This simple embellished circle skirt lets you share your love of unicorns wherever you go!
2 Free Knitting Patterns
These unicorn knitting patterns include a headphone wrap and a beanie. Shown from left to right.
- Unicorn Headphone Wrap by Briana K Designs: Have fun while listening to music or podcasts, or while chatting on your next Zoom, by adding these to a pair of headphones. There is also a free crochet version.
- Magical Unicorn Hat by Little Red Window: The 12-month side of this adorable infant and toddler beanie is available as a free pattern.
Looking for more DIY unicorn project inspiration? Check out these books on Amazon.com.