I’m so excited to be participating in the Hat of the Month Crochet Along with The Stitchin’ Mommy and Oombawka Design Crochet again! My contribution for this CAL is a tri-color granny square crochet hat pattern that works up quickly in a bulky weight yarn. It’s an easy project and I’ve included some video tutorials to make it even more beginner-friendly.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Yarn for this project was generously provided by Paintbox Yarns.
One of my favorite events to participate in every year is the Hat of the Month CAL with Oombawka Design Crochet and The Stitchin’ Mommy. I love granny squares, but they aren’t always that easy to incorporate into hat patterns. For the Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat, I started with 2-round granny squares, joined them, and then crocheted the rest of the hat flat in rows. To finish, I cinched the top and added a pom pom.
I crocheted this hat with the same yarns and stitch pattern I used for the Bluebird Beanie pattern.
Scroll down for the Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat pattern!
Each month includes three free crochet hat patterns. Head over to Oombawka Design Crochet for the Lucky Green Slouch Hat pattern. Head over to The Stitchin’ Mommy for the Northern Lights Hat pattern. Scroll down for the Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat pattern.
If you make your own Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instagram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat
Granny Square Crochet Hat Pattern by Underground Crafter
This pom pom hat works up quickly in bulky yarn. It uses the same stitch combination and yarn weight as the Bluebird Beanie. This pattern was featured in the 2022 Hat of the Month Crochet Along with Oombawka Design Crochet and The Stitchin’ Mommy.
- Teen/Adult Small: 21” (53.5 cm) hat circumference x 9” (23 cm) height.
Materials (Note: With the materials listed below, you can crochet both the Chip Off The Old Block Slouchy Hat AND the Bluebird Beanie.)
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 149 yd/136 m) – 2 skeins in 335 Duck Egg Blue (CA) and 1 skein each in 334 Kingfisher Blue (CB) and 333 Marine Blue (CC), or approximately 210 yd (192 m) in CA, 95 yd (87 m) in CB, and 125 yd (114.5 m) in CC in any bulky weight yarn.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Clover Pom Pom Maker – Large 3-3/8” size (optional).
- Motif = 2.5” (6.5 cm) in pattern with smaller hook . For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only – Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the back loop here.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 stitches together (decrease) – [Insert hook in next sp, yo and draw up a loop] twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook. Whistle and Ivy has a helpful video tutorial for this stitch here.
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- () Repeat instructions between parentheses into same stitch or space.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- This hat begins with crocheted motifs. Once joined, the rest of the hat is crocheted flat in rows and then seamed.
- A helpful photo tutorial for using the “cinch method” to close a slouchy hat is available here.
- A helpful tutorial for making pom poms without a pom pom maker is available here.
Motif Hat Band (Make 4 each in CB and CC)
First Motif ONLY
- With smaller hook, ch 4, skip 3 ch, join with sl st to next ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: (Right Side) Ch 1, [3 dc in ring, ch 1] 3 times, 3 dc in ring, join with sc (counts as ch-1 sp) to to first dc. (12 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 dc in same ch-1 sp, *dc in next 3 dc,** (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in ch-1 sp, rep from * around, ending last rep at ** before first ch-1 sp, 2 dc in ch-1 sp, ch 1, join with sl st to first first dc. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 18”/46 cm) for seaming. (28 sts + 4 ch-1 sp)
- Rep Instructions as for First Motif. Do not fasten off.
- With Wrong Sides facing, join with slip stitch seam (see video tutorial below) to previous Motif, alternating colors, until you have 8 Motifs assembled in a row. Fasten off.
- If you can’t see the slip stitch join video tutorial above, click here to watch it on YouTube.
Body of Hat
- With larger hook, join CA with sl st on Right Side to ch-1 sp at edge of Motif Hat Band.
- Row 1: Ch 1, 2 sc in same ch-1 sp, *scBL in next 7 sts, sc in ch-1 sp,** sc2tog in same ch-1 sp and next ch-1 sp, sc in ch-1 sp; rep from * across, ending last rep after ** in last ch-1 sp, sc again in same ch-1 sp. (80 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st, skip 1 st, (sc, hdc, dc) in next st, *skip 2 sts, (sc, hdc, dc) in next st; rep from * across to last 2 sts, skip 1 st, (sc, hdc, dc) in next st.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st, *skip 2 sts, (sc, hdc, dc) in next st; rep from * across.
- Rep Row 3 until hat measures 9” (23 cm) or desired final length. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 18”/46 cm) for seaming.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail in CA from top of hat. Fold hat across rows. Seam edges of rows together with mattress stitch (see video tutorial below) until you reach Motifs. Fasten off CA.
- If you can’t see the mattress stitch video tutorial above, click here to watch it on YouTube.
- With smaller crochet hook and long yarn tail from first Motif, join first and last Motif with Wrong Sides facing using slip stitch seam (see video tutorial above).
- Cut a piece of CA to approximately 18”/46 cm. Thread yarn needle with CA. Weave yarn needle through each stitch on finished edge of hat (top of final repeat of Row 3). Slowly tighten yarn tail to pull top of hat closed (see Pattern Notes for “cinch method” tutorial). You may need to sew top of hat closed after tightening yarn tail.
- With CA, make pom pom following instructions on Clover Large Pom Pom Maker. Alternatively, see Pattern Notes for link to tutorial for making a pom pom by hand.
- Trim pom pom.
- Attach pom pom to hat using yarn needle and yarn tail that tied pom pom together.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of hat.