Today’s pattern is a variation on the standard crochet cat ears hat pattern. I used a fluffy soft polyester yarn to make the Cuddly Cat Ears Beanie pattern. This is a one-skein pattern!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration.
As a King Cole Brand Ambassador, I often get the chance to play with really fun yarns, and Cuddles Chunky is no exception! Cuddles Chunky is available from your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts. This ultra soft yarn would be great for crocheting teddy bears, softies, and other plush toys. I got to thinking, it would be great for a crochet cat ears hat pattern, too.
Since I only had one skein in each color, I decided to use the 3141 Silver skein to make a child size version of the Cuddly Cat Ears Beanie. I’ve never had a gray cat but I love their elegant look!
This pattern is part of the Summer Stashbusting Challenge with Kickin’ Crochet. Head over to Mary’s site to learn more and find the rest of the included patterns.
If you make your own Cuddly Cat Ears Beanie, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter or on Instragram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Cuddly Cat Ears Beanie to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Cuddly Cat Ears Beanie
Crochet Cat Ears Hat Pattern by Underground Crafter
This simple crochet cat ears hat pattern uses a fluffy soft yarn to make it extra cuddly. This one-skein pattern was designed for the Summer Stashbusting Challenge with Kickin’ Crochet.
- Child: 19” (48 cm) hat circumference x 7” (18 cm) height.
- King Cole Cuddles Chunky yarn (100% polyester, 1.75 oz/50 g, 137 yd/125 m) – 1 skein in 3141 Silver, or approximately 137 yd (125 m) in any bulky weight, polyester yarn.
- US Size H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Bent tip yarn needle.
- Through Round 3 in pattern = 4” (10 cm) diameter. For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 stitches together – [Insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop] twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook. Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial for this stitch here.
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Ch 1 at start of rows does not count as a stitch.
- Beanie is crocheted in joined rounds. Cat Ears are crocheted flat in rows and then seamed to beanie using the whipstitch.
- A helpful photo tutorial for seaming with the whipstitch is available here.
Increase From Crown
- Ch 4, skip 3 ch, join with sl st to next ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, 12 dc in ring, join with sl st to first dc. (12 sts)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 dc first st and in each st around, join with sl st to first dc. (24 sts)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, starting in first st [2 dc in next st, dc in next st] around, join with sl st to first dc. (36 sts)
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, starting in first st [2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 sts] around, join with sl st to first dc. (48 sts)
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, starting in first st [2 dc in next st, dc in next 3 sts] around, join with sl st to first dc. (60 sts)
- Rnd 6: Ch 1, dc in first st and in each st around, join with sl st to first dc.
- Rep Rnd 6 until hat measures approximately 6” (15 cm) from crown, or approximately 1” (2.5 cm) shorter than desired height.
- Rnd 7: Ch 1, sc in first st and in each st around, join with sl st to first sc.
Decrease for Brim
- Rnd 8: Ch 1, starting in first st [sc2tog, sc in next 10 sts] around, join with sl st to first sc2tog. (55 sts)
- Rep Rnd 7 twice, or until hat measures approximately 7” (18 cm) from crown, or approximately desired height.
- Fasten off.
Cat Ears (Make 2)
- Starting with long yarn tail, approximately 12” (30.5 cm) for seaming, ch 7.
- Row 1: Turn, skip first ch, sc in next 6 ch. (6 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, sc2tog in first 2 sts, sc in each st across. (Decreases by 1 st)
- Rows 3-5: Rep Row 2, 3 times until 2 sts remain.
- Row 6: Turn, ch 1, sc2tog in first 2 sts. (1 st)
- Fasten off.
Assembly and Finishing
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail from start of first Cat Ear. Position Cat Ear on crown of beanie as desired, using photos as guide. With yarn needle, join Cat Ear to beanie with whipstitch (see Pattern Notes). Weave in yarn tail on inside of beanie. Rep for second Cat Ear.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of beanie.