I’m kicking off the 2022 Giftstravaganza Crochet Along and Blog Hop today with the gender-neutral, striped crochet beanie pattern for the Timber Beanie! The pattern is forever free on my blog, but you can grab the coupon code to download it for free for a limited time as part of the Blog Hop, so read on for details!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration.
Hats are some of my favorite projects to make for winter holiday gifts because hats can be finished relatively quickly using a minimal amount of yarn. If you feel the same way, you’ll love today’s pattern for the Timber Beanie! This snug-fitting striped crochet beanie pattern has a slouchy top. It uses simple stitch combinations to create a knit look with lots of texture. And, best of all, the pattern is available in 10 sizes so you can make one for pretty much anyone on your handmade holiday gift list!
For my version, I used two skeins of King Cole Big Value Poplar Chunky yarn in 4356 Olive (at left) and 4354 Chestnut (at right). I love the tweedy look of this yarn and it is very soft to work with! Big Value Poplar Chunky is available from your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK.
Scroll down for the Timber Beanie pattern. This is the first pattern in the Giftstravaganza Crochet Along and Blog Hop! Join us for 31 days of free crochet patterns for handmade holiday gifts by your favorite designers made with just 1, 2, or 3 skeins of yarn and your chance to win awesome prizes. Each day through December 1, 2022, there will be a new featured pattern. While the patterns are forever free on a blog, you can also grab a coupon code to download the PDF version of each pattern for 24 hours for free!
To join the Giftstravaganza Crochet Along and Blog Hop:
- Sign up for Crochet Along updates and the Underground Crafter newsletter to get regular updates, including an update as each CAL pattern and coupon code is released. When you sign up, you’ll also get access to my subscriber vault which includes exclusive free PDF patterns, a coupon code for your choice of any crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop, and coupon codes from other indie designers and crafts businesses.
- Alternatively, you can stop by this blog post every day through December 1, 2022 to get the latest pattern and coupon code. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway for your chance to win one of nine prizes by 11:59 pm Eastern on December 4, 2022.
- You can join in by crocheting the projects as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #GiftstravaganzaCAL on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crafters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group.
- By the end of the Crochet Along, you’ll have up to 31 awesome projects. Get ready for the handmade holiday season while having fun with us!
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
My contribution to the 2022 Giftstravaganza Crochet Along and Blog Hop is the Timber Beanie in 10 sizes. BUT, it was supposed to be a pattern for the home. My newsletter subscribers know that I’ve had a tough few weeks. I didn’t notice this until after I published my pattern. But, not to worry, I’m providing a remedy so read on for details!
If you’re reading this post before 6 am Eastern time on November 2, 2022, you’re in luck! My pattern is the featured design for November 1. Use coupon code GIFTS to download the PDF pattern for free on Ravelry, or click HERE or on the Giftstravaganza button below to add the pattern with coupon code to your Ravelry cart. Make sure the cart is set to $0.00 before checking out as there will be no refunds for accidental purchases. You can also scroll down for the free blog version of the pattern for the Timber Beanie. Since this isn’t a pattern “for the home,” you can ALSO use coupon code Oops to get any pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop for free through 6 am Eastern on December 2, 2022. Be sure that your cart is set to $0 before checking out as there will be no refunds for accidental purchases.
After getting the PDF, don’t forget to visit this 2022 Giftstravaganza Blog Hop and Crochet Along blog post for all the participating patterns and to enter for your chance to win the giveaway.
If you make your own Timber Beanie, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter on on Instagram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Timber Beanie to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Striped Crochet Beanie Pattern by Underground Crafter
This gender-neutral striped crochet beanie pattern is available in 10 sizes. Simple stitch combinations create a knit look with lots of texture. This is the first pattern in the 2022 Giftstravaganza Blog Hop and Crochet Along.
- Newborn (0-3 Months, 3-6 Months, 6-12 Months, 1-2 Years, 3-5 Years, 6-12 Years, Teen/Adult Small, Adult Medium, Adult Large). Photographed sample is Teen/Adult Small size shown on a mannequin with 22.5” (57 cm) head circumference.
- Newborn: 13” (33 cm) hat circumference x 5.75” (14.5 cm) length.
- 0-3 Months: 15” (38 cm) hat circumference x 6.75” (17 cm) length.
- 3-6 Months: 16” (40.5 cm) hat circumference x 7” (18 cm) length.
- 6-12 Months: 17” (43 cm) hat circumference x 7.5” (19 cm) length.
- 1-2 Years: 18” (46 cm) hat circumference x 7.75” (19.5 cm) length.
- 3-5 Years: 19” (48 cm) hat circumference x 8.25” (21 cm) length.
- 6-12 Years: 20” (51 cm) hat circumference x 8.75” (22 cm) length.
- Teen/Adult Small: 21” (53.5 cm) hat circumference x 9” (23 cm) length.
- Adult Medium: 22” (56 cm) hat circumference x 9.5” (24 cm) length.
- Adult Large: 23” (58.5 cm) hat circumference x 9.75” (25 cm) length.
- King Cole Big Value Poplar Chunky yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 164 yd/150 m) – 1skein each in 4356 Olive (CA) and 4354 Chestnut (CB), or approximately 45 yd (60 yd, 65 yd, 75 yd, 85 yd, 95 yd, 105 yd, 110 yd, 125 yd, 130 yd)/41 m (55 m, 59.5 m, 68.5 m, 77.5 m, 87 m, 96 m, 100.5 m, 114.5 m, 119 m) in CA and 50 yd (65 yd, 70 yd, 80 yd, 85 yd, 100 yd, 110 yd, 115 yd, 130 yd, 140 yd)/ 46 m (59.5 m, 64 m, 73 m, 78 m, 91.5 m, 100.5 m, 105 m, 119 m, 128 m) in CB in any bulky weight yarn.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Clover bent-tip yarn needle.
- 10 sts in pattern for Hat Band = 2.5” (6.5 cm) across with smaller hook.
- 16 hdc3L = 4” (10 cm) across with larger hook.
- For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- 3L – third (back) loop – Moogly has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the third loop in half double crochet here.
- BL – back loop – Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the back loop here.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 stitches together (decrease) – [Insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop] twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook. Yarn Obsession has a helpful video tutorial for this stitch here.
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Ch 1 at start of rows and rounds does not count as a stitch.
- The Hat Band is crocheted flat and then joined with a slip stitch seam. Pick up stitches as indicated, then join with slip stitch to begin crocheting in the round.
- A helpful tutorial for cinching the top of a slouchy hat closed is available here.
Beanie (All Sizes)
- With CA and smaller hook, ch 7 (7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 9, 9, 11, 11) sts.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, [sl st in next ch, hdc in next ch] across. – 6 (6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 8, 8, 10, 10) sts
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, starting in first st [slst3L in next hdc, hdcBL in next sl st] across.
- Rep Row 2 until Hat Band measures 13” (15”, 16”, 17”, 18”, 19”, 20”, 21”, 22”, 23”)/33 cm (38 cm, 40.5 cm, 43 cm, 46 cm, 48 cm, 51 cm, 53.5 cm, 56 cm, 58.5 cm) long.
- Do not fasten off.
- Fold Hat Band so that short edges are together. Join short edges with slip stitch seam (see video below). Do not fasten off.
- If you can’t see the video tutorial above, click HERE to watch it on Facebook.
Pick Up Stitches
- With smaller hook, pick up 44 (52, 56, 60, 64, 68, 72, 76, 80, 84) sc evenly across long edge (see video below) of Hat Band, join CB with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CA. – 44 (52, 56, 60, 64, 68, 72, 76, 80, 84) sts
- If you can’t see the video tutorial above, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
Work Even Towards Crown
- Switch to larger hook for rest of project.
- Round 1: (Right Side) Ch 1, starting in first st hdcBL in each st around, join with sl st to 3L of first hdc.
- Round 2: Ch 1, starting in first st hdc3L in each st around, join with sl st to 3L of first hdc.
- Rounds 3-4: Rep Round 2 twice.
- Round 5: Rep Round 2 once, join CA with sl st to 3L of first hdc. Drop CB to inside of hat.
- Round 6: Ch 1, starting in first st slst3L in each st around, join with sl st to BL of first sl st.
- Round 7: Ch 1, starting in first st [slstBL in next st, hdcBL in next st] around, join with sl st to BL of first sl st.
- Round 8: Ch 1, starting in first st [slstBL in next sl st, slst3L in next hdc] around, join CB with sl st to BL of first sl st. Drop CA to inside of hat.
- Rep Rounds 1-8, ending after any Round once beanie measures approximately 4.75” (5.75”, 6”, 6.5”, 6.75”, 7.25”, 7.75”, 8”, 8.5”, 8.75”/12 cm (14.5 cm, 15 cm, 16.5 cm, 17 cm, 18.5 cm, 19.5 cm, 20.5 cm, 21.5 cm, 22 cm), or approximately 1” (2.5 cm) shorter than desired length for height.
Decrease To Crown
- For the rest of the pattern, continue in established striping pattern (5 rows in CB, 3 rows in CA).
- Round 9: Ch 1, starting in first st and working in last loop (BL or 3L) of all sts in Round, [sc2tog, sc in next 2 sts] around, join with sl st to BL of first st. – 33 (36, 42, 45, 48, 51, 54, 57, 60, 63) sts
- Round 10: Ch 1, starting in first st [scBL in next st, sc2togBL] around, join with sl st to BL of first sc. – 22 (24, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42) sts
- Round 11: Ch 1, starting in first st, sc2togBL around, join with sl st to BL of first st. – 11 (12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21) sts
- Round 12: Ch 1, slstBL in first st and in each st around, join with sl st to BL of first st. Fasten off current color with long yarn tail (approximately 12”/30.5 cm) for finishing. Fasten off other yarn color.
Assembly and Finishing
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail.
- With Right Side facing outwards, cinch crown of hat closed (see Pattern Notes).
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of hat.