Welcome to Week 17 of the Mélange Blanket mystery crochet along with Underground Crafter! This week’s pattern is the Framed Ripple Afghan Square by Blackstone Designs.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this project were generously provided by King Cole and Denise Interchangeables.
Join the Mélange Blanket Mystery Crochet Along!
- Learn more about the CAL (and enter the giveaway for your chance to win a one of five great prizes from babé crochet co., Denise Interchangeables, GlassEyesOnline, King Cole, and Knitter’s Relief Balm by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on December 22, 2023) in this blog post.
- You can join in by crocheting along with each square of this blanket as you have time.
- Sign up for my newsletter here so you never miss a clue!
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #undergroundcrafter and #melangeblanketcal on all social media. You can also tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group or follow Mélange Blanket CAL thread the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have 48 beautiful squares you can put together into a beautiful blanket.
- Use the button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Mélange Blanket Square 17: Framed Ripples Afghan Square
Our seventeenth square pattern is the Framed Ripples Afghan Square by Blackstone Designs. You can find Sonya online at Etsy | Facebook | Instagram | LoveCrafts | Pinterest | Ravelry | Ribblr | TikTok | YouTube
You can see Sonya’s version below.
We both used King Cole Big Value Aran (available through your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK) in 3 colors for our squares. I also used my Denise US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook for my blanket so I can keep consistent gauge across all my squares.
The Framed Ripples Afghan Square pattern was very mellow. For my version, I used Nougat as Color A, Berry as Color B, and Ocean as Color C. My square was just shy of 5.5″ (14 cm) after R20, so I added another round as follows: Chain 1, starting in the same stitch [single crochet in each stitch across, (single crochet, chain 2, single crochet) in the next chain-2 space] 4 times, join with a slip stitch to the first single crochet. I then spray blocked the square. (If you’re new to blocking, check out Blocking Basics for Crocheters and Knitters.)
Head over to Blackstone Designs and get the free crochet pattern for the Framed Ripples Afghan Square here. Don’t forget to share your version online using #undergroundcrafter and #melangeblanketcal as hashtags.Tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures, or share your pictures in the Underground Crafters Facebook group or in the Mélange Blanket CAL thread the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.