I’m kicking off the third annual Summer Quickies Crochet Along with CAL Central with an easy crochet coasters pattern. The Easy Tweedy Coasters are crocheted holding two strands of yarn together throughout. This creates unique tweedy color combinations while also making a denser, double-thick set of large coasters or mug rugs.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Yarn for this project was generously provided by Hobbii.
I’m so excited to be kicking off the third annual Summer Quickies Crochet Along with CAL Central Crochet with this easy crochet coasters pattern! To join the Summer Quickies Crochet Along:
- Sign up for Crochet Along updates and the Underground Crafter newsletter to get regular updates, including an update as each CAL pattern is released. When you sign up, you’ll also get access to my subscriber vault which includes exclusive free PDF patterns, a coupon code for your choice of any crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop, and coupon codes from other indie designers and crafts businesses.
- Visit this blog post for links to each pattern as it goes live, and to enter the giveaway by Sunday, August 27, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern for your chance to win one of three great prizes from GlassEyesOnline, Hobbii, and Knitter’s Relief Balm.
- You can join in by crocheting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CALCentralCrochet on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the CAL Central Facebook group or visit this thread in the CAL Central Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have up to 8 awesome projects for fabulous summer projects!
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Like so many projects that I love, this pattern started out as a totally different idea. Hobbii provided all participating Summer Quickies Crochet Along designers with their choice of Hobbii yarns, and I decided it would be a great time to try out Friends Cotton 8/8 yarn.
Once I started crocheting by holding two strands of yarn together, I really loved the look! As my newsletter subscribers know, I’m moving to another state this summer, and it would be fair to say I have home decor on the brain. I started thinking about how cool it would be to have a coordinating set of coasters where each one is slightly different because once you have a bunch of friends or family over, and a few drinks on the table, it can be hard to remember which cup is yours. Et voilà, the Easy Tweedy Coasters were born!
Holding two strands of yarn together also make these coasters double thick, perfect for those summertime drinks with ice which tend to “sweat” with condensation (destroying all in their path if you don’t have a coaster). These easy crochet coasters are also large enough to hold mugs or other wide cups.
If you make your own Easy Tweedy Coasters, I’d love to see them! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter on on Instagram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Easy Tweedy Coasters to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Easy Tweedy Coasters
Easy Crochet Coasters Pattern by Underground Crafter
These easy crochet coasters get a tweedy look from holding two strands of yarn together. Holding two strands of yarn together with a relatively small hook makes a denser, double thick set of coasters. This is the first pattern in the third annual Summer Quickies Crochet Along with CAL Central.
- Set of 4 Coasters or Mug Rugs: 5.5” (14 cm) square.
- Hobbii Friends Cotton 8/8 yarn (100% cotton, 1.75 oz/50 g, 82 yd/75 m) – 1 skein each in 23 Lemon, 24 Sunflower, 118 Silver, and 119 Gray, or approximately 70 yd (64 m) in each of four colors in any light weight 100% cotton yarn.
- US Size H-5/5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Locking stitch marker.
- Bent-tip yarn needle.
- Through Rnd 8 = 4.5” (11.5 cm) diameter in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- () Work stitches between parentheses into same stitch or space.
-  – Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- This pattern uses two strands of yarn held together throughout. In this way, you are able to make four unique, double thick coasters from just four small skeins of yarn. Each has a unique, tweedy look. For my versions, I used the following combinations:
- Rounds 1-8 are crocheted in the round in unjoined spirals. Move stitch marker up each round to mark position of last stitch.
- Ch 1 at start and sl st at end of rounds do not count as stitches.
- Oombawka Design Crochet has a helpful magic ring tutorial here.
- This video below demonstrates 4 ways to crochet into a chain space. I used the first method for crocheting into the chain-spaces.
- If you can’t see the video above demonstrating 4 ways to crochet into a chain space, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
Coaster – Make 4 (see Pattern Notes)
- Holding 2 strands of yarn throughout, start with magic adjustable ring (see Pattern Notes).
- Rnd 1: (Right Side) Ch 1, 6 sc in ring, pull yarn tail tightly to close ring, place stitch marker in last sc (see Pattern Notes). (6 sts)
- Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12 sts)
- Rnd 3: [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] around. (18 sts)
- Rnd 4: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts] around. (24 sts)
- Rnd 5: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts] around. (30 sts)
- Rnd 6: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts] around. (36 sts)
- Rnd 7: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts] around. (42 sts)
- Rnd 8: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 6 sts] around. (48 sts)
- Rnd 9: Change to 2 strands in new color combination with sl st to next st, fasten off previous color combination, remove stitch marker. Ch 1, 2 dc in same st, *dc in next st, hdc in next 2 sts, sc in next 5 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next st,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep after **, 2 dc in first st, ch 1, join with sc (counts as second ch in ch-2 sp) to top of first dc. (15 sts on each side + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 10: Ch 1, sc in same ch-2 sp, *sc in next 15 sts,** 3 sc in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep after **, 2 sc in first ch-2 sp, join with sl st to first sc. (72 sts)
- Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails.