I’m joining in Marly Bird’s Wedding Blanket Crochet Along with this free crochet pattern for a 12″ (30.5 cm) granny square. The Great Star Coral Square is formed out of a 9-patch of small, textured squares surrounded by a simple border.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for the sample were generously provided by Red Heart. Camera and vinyl backdrop were generously provided by B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.
Last year, Marly Bird approached me about designing a square for a wedding blanket she was organizing for Ally, our contact at Red Heart yarns. Marly and her team also coordinated a crochet along so that you can have the chance to crochet your own version of the blanket! Find out more about the Wedding Blanket Crochet Along and get links to the rest of the patterns here.
I don’t crochet as many twelve inch squares as I crochet six inch squares, so I decided I would make a 9-patch square that includes nine smaller squares joined together. The Pattern Notes give you links to four different tutorials for methods to join your version of the Great Star Coral Square.
If you’re wondering about the name for this pattern, you can check out pictures of great star coral here.
And, if you’d like to see how the Great Star Coral Square looks in the finished wedding blanket, I’ve included a picture below.
If you make your own Great Star Coral Square, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Great Star Coral Square to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Great Star Coral Square
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This textured 9-patch granny square was designed as one of twenty-five 12″ (30.5 cm) squares for the Wedding Blanket Crochet Along with Marly Bird.
- Motif: 12” (30.5 cm) square.
- Red Heart Chic Sheep by Marly Bird yarn (100% Merino wool, 3.5 oz/100 g, 186 yd/170 m) – 1 skein ea in 5673 Fairy Tale (CA), 5622 Dragon Fruit (CB), and 5316 Linen (CC), or approximately 90 yd (82 m) ea in CA and CB and 50 yd (46 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Stitch markers (optional).
- Through Rnd 5 = 3.75” (9.5 cm) square in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only – Marly Bird has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the back loop here.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- FPsc – front post single crochet – Insert hook from front around back to front of st in previous round, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops. New Stitch a Day has a helpful video tutorial for this stitch here.
- hdc – half double crochet
- pf – 5-repeat puff stitch – Yo, insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop, [yo, insert hook in same st, yo and draw up a loop] 4 more times, yo and draw through 11 loops on hook. Wilmade has a helpful video tutorial for this stitch here. Her version has only 4 repeats and adds a chain after ea puff.
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- () Work instructions within parentheses into same stitch or space.
-  Repeat instructions within brackets as indicated.
- You are welcome to connect your Great Star Coral Mini Squares using your preferred method. I used the single crochet join-as-you go method in Rnd 5. You can find a photo tutorial for the single crochet join-as-you-go method here. Alternatively, use…
- the mattress stitch (photo tutorial is available here),
- the slip stitch (photo tutorial is available here), or
- the whipstitch (photo tutorial is available here) to join your squares.
- Ch 1 at beginning of Rnds does not count as a stitch.
- Change colors when joining with sl st at the end of Rnd 2, or at the beginning of Rnd 3 using a standing dc.
- Make 4 Great Star Coral Mini Squares (see pattern below) using CA through Rnd 2/CB through Rnd 5; Make 5 Great Star Coral Mini Squares using CB through Rnd 2/CA through Rnd 5.
- Assemble following assembly diagram below (see Pattern Notes) and then continue on to Border.
Great Star Coral Mini Square
- Ch 6, skip 5 ch, sl st in next ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, [pf in ring, ch 2] 5 times, pf in ring, ch 1, sc (counts as ch-1) to top of first pf to join. (6 pf + 6 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, [2 sc in ch-2 sp, FPsc around next pf] 6 times, sl st to top of first sc to join. (18 sts)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, starting in first st, [2 dc in next st, dc in next st] around, add another dc into last st, sl st to top of first dc to join. (28 sts)
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, dc in first st, *hdc in next st, sc in next 4 sts, hdc in next st,** (dc, ch 2, dc) in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep after**, dc in first st, ch 1, sc (counts as ch-1) to top of first dc to join. (32 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, dc in same ch-2 sp, *dc in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st, 3 dc in next st, ch 1, sk 2 sts, 3 dc in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next st,** (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep after**, dc in first st, ch 1, sc (counts as ch-1) to top of first dc to join. (40 dc + 8 ch-1 sp + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Border Rnd 1: Join CC with sl st to any corner ch-2 sp, ch 1, 2 dc in same ch-2 sp, *ch 1, sk 2 dc, 3 dc in ch-1 sp, [ch 1, sk 3 dc, 3 dc in ch-1 sp] 2 times, ch 1, sk 2 dc,** [dc in next ch-2 sp] twice; rep from * across, ending after ** at corner ch-2 sp, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in corner ch-2 sp,+ rep from * to + around, ending last rep at ** at first corner ch-2 sp, 2 dc in ch-2 sp, ch 1, sc (counts as ch-1) to top of first dc to join. (140 sts + 48 ch-1 sp + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Border Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in same ch-2 sp, place stitch marker in first st to mark corner, *scBL in ea st and ch-1 sp across to corner ch-2 sp,** (3 sc in ch-2 sp, place stitch marker in second sc to mark corner); rep from * around, ending last rep at ** at first corner ch-2 sp, sc in first ch-2 sp, sl st to join.
- Border Rnd 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in marked st, place stitch marker in first st to mark corner, *[scBL in ea st to marked st,** 3 sc in marked st, place stitch marker in second sc to mark corner] 3 times; rep from * to ** once, sc in same st first st, sl st to top of first sc to join.
- Rep Border Rnd 3 as needed to reach 12” (30.5 cm) square or desired size. Fasten off CC.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
- Spray block if desired.
2 thoughts on “12 Inch Granny Square Crochet Pattern: Great Star Coral Square”