I’m so excited to introduce #LatinxMakerMonth, an Instagram celebration of makers during Hispanic Heritage Month! I hope you will join me over the next 30 days as I share the work of a talented group of Latinx and Hispanic makers including crochet and knitting designers, indie yarn dyers, and more!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
As my longtime readers know, I’m a bicultural native New Yorker. My father was born in Cuba and was raised in Brooklyn, while my mom is Italian-American who was born and raised in Brooklyn. My sister has Mexican-American heritage. Besides my own family experience with different cultures, I also grew up in a very diverse city with exposure to the dialects, food, and traditions of many people with Caribbean and Latin American heritage.
I’m proud of the ways in which my cultural background has influenced my creativity, and for four years, I hosted a Hispanic Heritage Month interview series right here on Underground Crafter. If you’d like to check those out, you can find those posts in the archives by clicking on the links below.
- 2015 Hispanic Heritage Month Interview Series Roundup
- 2014 Hispanic Heritage Month Interview Series Roundup
- 2013 Hispanic Heritage Month Interview Series Roundup
- 2012 Hispanic Heritage Month Interview Series Roundup
Over time, I stopped doing as interviews on my blog and this year, I wanted to continue the celebration in a different way. I am excited to say that 19 other Latinx makers have decided to join in!
How #LatinxMakerMonth Works
Hispanic Heritage Month is an annual celebration in the United States from September 15 through October 15. You can read more about the history of Hispanic Heritage Month and find out about other celebrations here. Basically, it’s a time to recognize the contributions of people of Latin American and Spanish descent in America society. (You may be wondering about the term “Latinx.” It is a gender-inclusive way of describing people with Latin American heritage.)
I’ve invited fellow Latinx and Hispanic makers — mostly crochet and knitting designers and indie yarn dyers — to takeover my Instagram account during Hispanic Heritage Month. Each maker will introduce themselves and share pictures so you’ll get to meet some new-to-you accounts to follow for crafty inspiration! If you’d like to spread the word, feel free to share the button below on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
The best way to follow along with #LatinxMakerMonth is to follow me on Intagram and then to follow the makers as they introduce themselves. If you don’t have the Instagram app installed, you can also follow along in your web browser.
- September 15: Announcement and Schedule (you are here)
- September 16: Takeover with knitting designer Joji Knits
- September 17: Takeover with crochet designer Donna from 3amgracedesigns
- September 18: Takeover with yarn dyer Casual Fashion Queen
- September 19: Takeover with crochet designer Hi Sheep
- September 20: Takeover with yarn dyer From Me To Yarn
- September 21: Takeover with knitting designer handknitbykam
- September 22: Takeover with podcaster AshLovMakes
- September 23: Takeover with knitting designer Marcela Chang Knits
- September 24: Takeover with knitting designer Trelly Hernández
- September 27: Takeover with crochet and knitting designer Mamma DIY
- September 30: Takeover with (mostly) crochet designer ChabePatterns
- October 1: Takeover with crochet and knitting designer and yarn dyer Dye Is Cast Yarns
- October 5: Takeover with yarn dyer Yarn Experiments
- October 7: Takeover with crochet designer Curupisa
- October 10: Takeover with knitting designer Susana Lobos Designs
- October 11: Takeover with crochet and knitting notions maker La Serena Tejera
- October 12: Takeover with knitting designer Luciana Loop
- October 13: Takeover with knitting blogger Knit’s All Folks
- October 14: Takeover with knitting designer The Mock Tortoise
- October 15: Takeover with crochet and knitting designer Lilia Craft Party
I hope you’ll join us for this celebration! We look forward to sharing crochet, knitting, and yarn inspiration and getting to know each other better!