It’s time for the second weekly roundup of this year’s Christmas in July Make Along! Our theme this week is handmade gift ideas for women including lots of wearables and a few home decor projects as well. Find your next project in this collection of free crochet and knitting patterns and craft tutorials for cowls and scarves, beanies and earwarmers, garments, shawls and wraps, and more!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
I’m always looking for new ideas for handmade gifts and I have a lot of women on my list including my sister, my mom, my girlfriends, and even some awesome co-workers. I kept them all in mind as I pulled together some of the latest patterns from my favorite bloggers for handmade gift ideas for women to include. I’ve tried to include a range of project ideas including some that are quick makes and others that are large projects you should start today to finish in time for the holidays.
This roundup is the first in the second annual Christmas in July Make Along. Get all the details on this fun virtual event, including a list of participating bloggers, the schedule, and how to enter to win the prizes from Baby Lock, Clover USA, Knitter’s Pride, and WeCrochet in this blog post.
- You can join the Christmas in July Make Along by crocheting, knitting, sewing, or making the projects as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CIJMakeAlong2020 on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crafters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group.
- By the end of the Make Along, you’ll have up to 31 awesome projects. Get ready for the handmade holiday season while having fun with us!
- If you’d like regular email reminders during the Make Along, sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter.
- Don’t forget to enter the giveaway here by Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
36+ Free Handmade Gift Ideas for Women
Whether you’re looking for project inspiration for a friend, family member, or co-worker, you’re sure to find some great projects in this collection of handmade gift ideas for women! I’ve included 21 free crochet patterns, 10 free knitting patterns, and 5 free craft tutorials. And, if that’s not enough, at the end of this post you can find links to over 75 more handmade gift ideas for women!
21 Crochet Patterns
These 21 free crochet patterns include earwarmers and beanies, bags, scarves and cowls, shawls and wraps, tops, bags, and more.
Left column from top to bottom:
- Grace Earwarmer by Another Mum Fights the Dust: The pattern for this stylish earwarmer with a front twist is available in five sizes from baby through adult.
- Largo Tote Bag by Salty Pearl Crochet: This roomy tote bag makes a great gift.
- Vintage-Inspired Snood by Littlejohn’s Yarn: This retro pattern includes a video tutorial.
- Verano Longline Cardigan by Mama in a Stitch: This drapey cardigan pattern is available in six sizes from XS through XXL.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Summer Roses Wrap by Fiber Flux: This lacy shawl is perfect for gifting to someone in a warmer climate. The pattern includes a video tutorial.
- The Peyton Scarf by CED Designs: This simple pattern can be seamed as an infinity scarf.
- The Wilhelmina Beanie by Through the Loop Yarn Craft: This textured, striped beanie is a quick make.
- Juniper Vest by Crystalized Designs: This long layering vest pattern is available in six sizes from Small through 3X.
- Indigo Cowl by Creative Crochet Workshop: This lovely cowl with a strap is a great project for using a special skein of yarn.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Vintage Lines Shawl by Another Mum Fights the Dust: This textured triangular shawl uses asymmetrical stripes.
- Zig Zag Bag by Yarn + Chai: This simple bag pattern is part of the Cinch Bag series of drawstring backpacks.
- Meadowsweet Shawl by Two Brothers Blankets: This triangular shawl can be worn as a scarf or styled as a wrap.
- Hard Candy Slippers by ACCROchet: This cozy slipper pattern is available in three women’s sizes.
Fourth column, from top to bottom:
- Color Block Triangle Scarf by Ned and Mimi: This tri-color scarf uses a simple stitch pattern repeat.
- Another Bullion Stitch Cowl by CrochetnCrafts: This textured pattern includes instructions for cowl or infinity scarf lengths.
- Crazy Plant Lady Pillow by Crafting for Weeks: This pattern is part of a quirky throw pillow pattern series and makes a great gift for your favorite plant-loving lady.
- Telegraph Shawl by Hooked for Life: This boomerang style shawl in two colors can be styled as a scarf or wrap.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Marshmallow Messy Bun Beanie by Littlejohn’s Yarn: This twist on the messy bun hat includes a video tutorial.
- Tunisian Raglan Blouse by By Katerina: This striped, buttoned top pattern is available in eight sizes from S through 5XL.
- Warrior Choker by Creations by Courtney: This crochet jewelry is a stunning statement piece to gift to your favorite warrior woman.
- Cypress Infinity Cowl by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This richly textured cowl is perfect for fall or winter.
10 Knitting Patterns
These ten free knitting patterns include cowls and scarves, beanies and earwarmers, shawls and wraps, and more gift ideas for women.
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Flying Fingers by Stitches n Scraps: This simple pair of fingerless mitts is a great way for using up scrap yarn.
- Rustic Hooded Cowl by Underground Crafter: This pattern includes instructions for knitting flat and seaming or knitting in the round seamless.
- Chunky Dottie Beanie by All About Ami: This lightly textured hat in a super bulky yarn has a matching Chunky Dottie Scarf pattern.
- Grid Beanie by My Poppet Makes: This hat is knit flat and uses several cool hacks to make colorwork simpler.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Chunky Lace Scarf by Malloo: This easy lace project includes bobbles for texture.
- Strata Bias Knit Wrap by One Dog Woof: This nearly rectangular wrap uses a self-striping yarn to make colorwork easy.
- Highland Forest Shawl by Handy Little Me: This crossover triangle shawl is inspired by The Outlander series.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Winter’s Edge Ear Warmer by The Purple Poncho: This pattern is the knit version of the popular Tunisian crochet pattern.
- Montgomery Street Shawl by Stitch and Hustle: This bandana shawl is the knit version of the popular crochet pattern.
- Dragon Tooth Wrap by Jessie At Home: This pattern is part of the Dragon Wing series.
5 Craft Tutorials
These five free craft tutorials include simple instructions for jewelry and more gifts for women.
- Shimmer Seashell Necklace by Quiet Lion Creations for FaveCrafts: Make a beautiful necklace gift using seashells from your last beach vacation.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Geometric Statement Earrings by Easy Felt Crafts: This beginner-friendly jewelry project can be easily customized for the recipient by choosing different shapes or colors of felt.
- Sari Silk Ribbon DIY Bangles by Quiet Lion Creations for FaveCrafts: This beginner-friendly jewelry project is a great way to use up fabric scraps.
- Floral Clothes Hangers by The Sewing Loft for FaveCrafts: Use felt or polar fleece to make these beautiful hangers.
- Earth Tones Jewelry Set by Maria Nerius for FaveCrafts: This set includes a necklace, bracelets, and earrings made from felt and wood beads.
Looking for more handmade gift ideas for women? Check out these roundups for 75+ more ideas!
- 42+ Handmade Gift Ideas for Women including crochet, knitting, sewing, and crafts
- 36+ Handmade Gift Ideas for Women including crochet, knitting, and sewing projects