It’s time for the third weekly roundup of this year’s Christmas in July Make Along! Our theme this week is handmade gift ideas for anyone, including gender-neutral gift ideas, projects in multiple sizes for different ages, and more. Find your next project in this collection of free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns for accessories, home decor projects, gift bags, and more!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
I like to keep my handmade gift closet stocked with projects that I can gift to people of different ages and genders because you never know when you may need an extra gift. I’ve pulled together a collection of gift ideas for anyone that would be perfect for those occasions.
This roundup is the third in the second annual Christmas in July Make Along. Get all the details on this fun virtual event, including a list of participating bloggers, the schedule, and how to enter to win the prizes from Baby Lock, Clover USA, Knitter’s Pride, and WeCrochet in this blog post.
- You can join the Christmas in July Make Along by crocheting, knitting, sewing, or making the projects as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CIJMakeAlong2020 on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crafters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group.
- By the end of the Make Along, you’ll have up to 31 awesome projects. Get ready for the handmade holiday season while having fun with us!
- If you’d like regular email reminders during the Make Along, sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter.
- Don’t forget to enter the giveaway here by Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
27+ Handmade Gift Ideas for Anyone
Whether you’re looking for project inspiration for a friend, family member, or co-worker, you’re sure to find some great projects in this collection of handmade gift ideas for anyone! I’ve included 16 free crochet patterns, 5 free knitting patterns, and 6 free sewing patterns and fabric tutorials. And, if that’s not enough, at the end of this post you can find links to over 130 more handmade gift ideas!
16 Crochet Patterns
These 16 free crochet patterns include scarves and cowls, hats, socks, mittens, cozies and coasters, and other gift ideas for men, women, kids, and more!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Gnorman the Gnome by The Loopy Lamb: Customize this adorable Christmas-themed amigurumi by changing the nose color.
- Silver Beach Scarf by Salty Pearl Crochet: This textured, gender-neutral scarf pattern is a perfect gift for any teen or adult on your handmade holiday list.
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Ornament by Raffamusa Designs: This adorable little sweater pattern includes a detailed photo tutorial.
- Easy Cabled Mug Cosy by Crochet Cloudberry: This textured mug cozy pattern includes detailed photos for stitch placement.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Ridge Walk Scarf by Ned & Mimi: This long, textured scarf makes a great gender-neutral gift.
- Adorable Snowman Pillow by Littlejohn’s Yarn: This pattern includes a video tutorial and is a companion pattern to the Santa Claus Pillow pattern.
- Easy Mug Rug by Fosbas Designs: This woven coaster pattern includes on-trend fringe.
- Ho Ho Ho Scarf by Crystalized Designs: This is one of seven Christmas-themed patterns in the Ho Ho Ho holiday series.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Camdyn Cable Hat by Lakeside Loops: This textured, knit-look pom pom hat pattern is available in six sizes from newborn through adult.
- Stained Glass Cowl by Make and Do Crew: This gender-neutral Tunisian crochet cowl includes a video tutorial.
- Ombré Fair Isle Beanie by For the Frills: This knit-look beanie pattern is available in three sizes from toddler through adult and includes a video tutorial.
- Bobbles and Stripes Santa Hat by Crochet for You: The pattern for this textured, striped stocking cap is available in four sizes from infant through adult.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Jolly Fun Socks by Pattern Paradise: The pattern for these knee-high holiday-themed socks is available in four sizes from kids through adult large.
- Textured Hygge Mittens by Love Life Yarn: The pattern for these cozy mittens is available in five child and adult sizes.
- Hartfield Oversized Infinity Scarf by Stitching Together: This scarf can be wrapped around three times and is a great gift for those living in colder climates.
- 1.5 Hour Chunky Beanie by Crochet Dreamz: This quick and easy beanie pattern is available in four sizes from toddler through adult large.
5 Knitting Patterns
These five free knitting patterns for scarves and hats are available in child and adult sizes.
Shown clockwise from top left corner:
- Checkerboard Cable Scarf by Underground Crafter: This textured scarf knits up quickly with two strands of yarn held together and the pattern is available in both child and adult sizes.
- Gradient Keyhole Scarf via Lion Brand: This ribbed scarf pattern uses a self-patterning yarn to make colorwork easy. The pattern is also available as part of a kit with yarn included.
- Waterbury Plaid Blanket Scarf by Two of Wands: This pattern is the companion to the crochet Rosebridge Plaid Blanket Scarf.
- Double Up Scarf by Frankie Brown: This cozy scarf has two layers worked in different colors for extra warmth.
- Marley Beanie by The Blue Elephants: This simple beanie knits up quickly in super bulky yarn.
6 Sewing and Fabric Tutorials
These six free sewing patterns and fabric tutorials include fabric post cards, gift bags, and more!
Shown clockwise from top left corner:
- Handy as a Pocket Bag by Mamas2Hands: This step-by-step sewing pattern makes a reusable pocket gift bag in two sizes.
- Fabric Post Cards by Underground Crafter: Send your sewing creations through the mail as holiday cards! This simple sewing project includes an ornament variation.
- DIY Dice Bag by Tailor Made Cosplay: This bag is a perfect gift for your favorite tabletop gamer!
- Sensory Stimulation Busy Blanket via Fairfield World: This simple sewing project provides hours of sensory stimulation for people with autism or dementia, or others who need to keep restless fingers busy.
- Felt Candy Christmas Tree Ornaments by Fleece Fun: This no-sew project is a great gift for your favorite sweet tooth.
- Upcycled Flannel Shirt Quilt by Swoodson Says: This detailed tutorial will guide you through creating a cozy throw quilt from old flannel shirts.
Looking for more handmade gift ideas for people on your handmade holiday list? Check out these roundups for 130+ more ideas!
- 53+ Handmade Last-Minute Gift Ideas including free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns and crafts tutorials
- 22+ Free Handmade Gift Ideas for Men including free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns
- 33+ Handmade Hat and Scarf Projects to Make Great Gifts including free crochet and knitting patterns and fabric craft tutorials for babies, kids, teens, and adults
- 28+ Free Handmade Gift Ideas for Men including free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns