Welcome to the third roundup of the Christmas in July Make Along! This week’s theme is gifts for men, and in my experience, it can sometimes be hard to find great handmade gift ideas for men. Not to worry, because I’ve searched the web to find you 28 handmade gift ideas, including 14 free crochet patterns, 7 free knitting patterns, and 7 free sewing patterns. If you still need more inspiration, I’ve included links to several more roundups with 95 more ideas!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. All photos are © the respective designers and publishers and are used with permission.
- If you’re just hearing about the Christmas in July Make Along, you can find out more here. 29 bloggers have teamed up to bring you 31 days of handmade gift ideas and the chance to win one of 17 great prizes!
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group.
- If you’d like regular email reminders during the Make Along, sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter.
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
28 Handmade Gift Ideas for Men
Roundup by Underground Crafter
14 Free Crochet Patterns
These patterns include hats, slippers, scarves and cowls, and even a growler cozy!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Urban Hiker Slouchy Hat by Underground Crafter: This striped, slouchy hat pattern is available in six sizes from newborn through adult large.
- Chic and Simple Perfect Hat by Marly Bird: This hat pattern is available in 9 sizes from 3-6 months through adult extra large.
- Simply Slippers by Stitches n Scraps: This simple slipper pattern is available in four adult sizes.
- Easy Beginner Fringe Scarf by Fiber Flux: This long, unisex scarf is beginner-friendly and includes a video tutorial.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Suit Style Men’s Scarf by Stitch in Progress: This simple scarf pairs well with business attire. The pattern includes international stitch symbols and a color chart.
- Faux Brioche Scarf by Jessie At Home: This knit-look scarf includes tips for adjusting the size.
- Manchester Reversible Hat by Pattern Paradise: This reversible beanie pattern is available in four sizes from toddler through adult large.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Beer Growler Cozy by Moogly: This makes the perfect gift for your favorite beer connoisseur.
- Entirely Easy Men’s Scarf by Stitching Together: This beginner-friendly, knit-look scarf pattern includes helpful photos to guide hook placement.
- Hyland Men’s Hat by Yarn + Chai: This slouchy hat uses variations on basic crochet stitches to add subtle texture.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Adult Men’s Chunky Slippers by YARNutopia: This pattern for these cozy slippers crocheted in a super bulky yarn includes a video tutorial.
- Brooklyn Ridge Hat by Sewrella: This simple hat works up quickly in a bulky yarn. It can be worn as a slouchy or as a beanie with the brim rolled up.
- Buttoned Plaid Cowl by Winding Road Crochet: This pattern includes both a video tutorial and helpful illustrations for crochet plaid newbies. It also includes a sign up form for printable plaid handmade gift tags.
- Eclectic Woodsman’s Scarf by Mainly Crochet: This pattern uses a self-striping yarn to do the colorwork for you.
7 Free Knitting Patterns
These patterns include hats, scarves, sweaters, and even a tablet sleeve. Shown clockwise from top left corner.
- Comfy Tablet Sleeve by Hands Occupied: This striped tablet sleeve pattern includes a helpful seaming tutorial.
- The Hektor by Handy Little Me: This simple striped hat is a beginner-friendly project.
- Seeds and Cables Scarf by Underground Crafter: This scarf pairs a classic cable pattern with the texture of seed stitches.
- Jack and Jill Sweater by Stitches n Scraps: This textured, color blocked sweater pattern is available in four adult sizes from small through extra large.
- Interwoven Hat by Two of Wands: This cuffed hat includes an intricate central cable pattern.
- Broken Rib Hat by Edie Eckman: This unisex hat is stretchy enough to fit a variety of head sizes.
- Neighborly Cardigan via Lion Brand: This zippered cardigan pattern is available in five adult sizes from small through 2X.
7 Free Sewing Patterns
These patterns include home décor and accessories made with fabric yardage and upcycled t-shirts and denim. Shown clockwise from top left.
- Key Holder Wall Hanging Quilt by She’s So Creative: Keep his keys organized with this wall hanging quilt.
- Pockets Camera Strap Cover via FaveCrafts: This quick sewing project makes a great gift for your favorite photographer.
- T-Shirt Pillow by Jane Skoch for FaveCrafts: Turn two sentimental favorite t-shirts into a comfortable throw pillow.
- Oversized Floor Pouf via FaveCrafts: Make this simple and functional piece of comfortable furniture with just two yards of fabric.
- Denim Log Cabin Pocket Pillows by Underground Crafter: This set of three pillows made with variations on the classic log cabin quilting block include a pocket for storing a remote, a pair of glasses, or anything else needed while relaxing.
- Colorblocked T-Shirt Scarf by Back to Calley via FaveCrafts: Upcycle two adult t-shirts in contrasting colors to make this long scarf.
- Movie Poster Pillow by Crafty Chica for FaveCrafts: This pillow would make a great gift for a film buff. The tutorial includes both sewing and no-sew options.