It’s that time of the year when everyone is working on last-minute gifts, and I thought this adorable crochet gingerbread pattern would be the perfect addition to your holiday makes! The Gingerbread Cookie Sack Hat will bring a smile to the face of kids and adults alike.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Supplies for the sample were generously provided by WeCrochet.
Sack hats are fun holiday projects to make. They crochet up so quickly and getting an exact fit at the top of the hat isn’t needed. Last year, I designed the Santa Suit Sack Hat pattern for the holidays…
… and this year I was looking for another sack hat holiday idea. I have been on a bit of a crochet gingerbread pattern “kick” in the last year. First, there were the Gingerbread Friends, then the Bobblehead Gingerbread Lovey, and then the Gingerbread Pal.
So, a Gingerbread Cookie Sack Hat seemed like a good addition to my growing gingerbread pattern collection!
I love the way this character turned out, and I’m sure you will, too.
Scroll down for the free crochet pattern for the Child Small size of the Gingerbread Cookie Sack Hat!
If you make your own Gingerbread Cookie Sack Hat, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add Gingerbread Cookie Sack Hat to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Gingerbread Cookie Sack Hat
Crochet Gingerbread Pattern by Underground Crafter
The color patterning in this simple sack hat pattern mimics a gingerbread cookie. Get the Child Small size for free below, or buy the ad-free PDF for all 10 sizes from Newborn through Adult Large to make a matching set for the whole family.
- The free version of this pattern below is available in one size: Child Small 18” (45.5 cm) hat circumference x 8” (20.5 cm) length. This is the size shown in the photographs.
- The ad-free PDF available on Ravelry includes 10 sizes:
- Newborn (0-3 Months, 3-6 Months, 6-12 Months, Toddler, Child Small, Child Large, Teen/Adult Small, Adult Medium, Adult Large).
- Newborn: 12” (30.5 cm) hat circumference x 5.5” (14 cm) length.
- 0-3 Months: 14” (35.5 cm) hat circumference x 6.5” (16.5 cm) length.
- 3-6 Months: 15” (38 cm) hat circumference x 6.75” (17 cm) length.
- 6-12 Months: 16” (40.5 cm) hat circumference x 7.25” (18.5 cm) length.
- Toddler: 17” (43 cm) hat circumference x 7.5” (19 cm) length.
- Child Small: 18” (45.5 cm) hat circumference x 8” (20.5 cm) length.
- Child Large: 19” (48 cm) hat circumference x 8.5” (21.5 cm) length.
- Teen/Adult Small: 20” (51 cm) hat circumference x 8.75” (22 cm) length.
- Adult Medium: 21” (53.5 cm) hat circumference x 9.25” (23.5 cm) length.
- Adult Large: 22” (56 cm) hat circumference x 9.5” (24 cm) length.
- WeCrochet Brava Worsted yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/218 yd/199 m) – 1 skein each in 28455 White (CA), 28415 Brindle (CB), and 28445 Red (CC), or approximately 70 yd (64 m) in CA; 124 yd (113.5 m) in CB; and 3 yd (3 m) in CC in any medium weight yarn.
- WeCrochet Mosaic US Size H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- WeCrochet Mosaic US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Clover bent-tip yarn needle.
- 10 scBL with smaller crochet hook = 2.25” (5.5 cm) wide. For best fit, always check your gauge.
- 14 dc with larger crochet hook = 4” (10 cm) wide. For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only – Fiber Flux has a helpful tutorial for identifying the back loop here.
- bob – 5-repeat bobble – [Yo, insert hook into st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops] 5 times in the same st, yo and draw through all 6 loops on hook. A video tutorial for this stitch pattern is below.
- If you can’t see the video tutorial for bobble stitch above, click here to watch it on Instagram.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- When choosing colors, note that CA is the color of the Hat Band, Smile, and Eyes. CB is the color of the Hat Body. CC is the color of the Cheeks.
- Hat Band is crocheted flat in rows using smaller hook. Hat Body is crocheted in the round using larger hook. Cheeks are crocheted in the round with smaller hook.
- Planet June has a helpful video tutorial for changing colors in the last yarn over of a stitch here. Use this method for changing colors for the Smile and Eyes.
- Color B is used throughout the Hat Body. When changing to CA for Smile and Eyes, crochet over the yarn tails of CB as you work. Fiber Flux has a helpful tutorial explaining how to do this here.
- A helpful tutorial for seaming with the whipstitch is available here.
- Oombawka Design has a helpful video tutorial for starting with the magic adjustable ring here.
- A helpful video tutorial for the embroidery backstitch is available at the end of this blog post.
- With CA and smaller hook, ch 11.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next 10 ch. – 10 sts
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, scBL in first st and in each st across.
- Rep Row 2 until Hat Band measures approximately 18” (45.5 cm) or desired hat circumference. Do not fasten off.
- Fold Hat Band along long edge. Join short ends together with a slip stitch seam (see video below). Do not fasten off.
- If you can’t see the slip stitch seam video tutorial above, click here to watch it on YouTube.
Pick Up Stitches
- Begin working in the Round with CA along long edge.
- Set Up Rnd: Ch 1, evenly work 64 sc along edge (see video below), join CB with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CA.
- If you can’t see the video above for working single crochet around the edge of rows, click here to watch it on YouTube.
- Switch to larger hook.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, dcBL in each st around, join with sl st to first dc. – 64 sts.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in first 26 sts, sc in next st changing to CA in last yo (see Pattern Notes), sc in next 9 sts, sc in next st changing to CB in last yo, fasten off CA, sc in next 27 sts, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, dc in first 27 sts, dcBL in next 10 sts, dc in next 27 sts, join with sl st to first dc.
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in each st around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, dc in each st around, join with sl st to first dc.
- Rnd 6: Ch 1, sc in first 29 sts, *sc in next st changing to CA in last yo (see Pattern Notes), bob in next st changing to CB in last yo,** sc in next st, repeat from * to ** once, sc in next 30 sts, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 7: Repeat Rnd 5.
- Rnd 8: Repeat Rnd 4.
- Repeat Rnds 7-8 until hat measures approximately 8” (20.5 cm) in length, or desired finished length, ending after any Rnd. Fasten off CB with long yarn tail (approximately 24”/61 cm) for seaming.
- Fold Hat so that seam lays centered in back and Smile and Eyes are centered at front. Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail in CB. Weave yarn tail across top of stitches at back until you reach corner of fold. Match stitches on each side of the fold along final Round of Hat. With yarn needle, whipstitch (see Pattern Notes) through center loops across final Round of Hat. With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails on inside of Hat.
Cheeks – Make 2
- With CC and smaller hook, start with magic adjustable ring (see Pattern Notes).
- Rnd 1: (Right Side) Ch 1, 6 sc in ring, pull yarn tail tightly to close ring, sl st to first sc to join. (6 sts)
- Fasten off CC with long yarn tail (approximately 12”/30.5 cm) for seaming.
Assembly and Finishing
- Use yarn needle to weave in all but long yarn tail for seaming at ends of Cheeks.
- Thread yarn needle with approximately 12”/30.5 cm in CA. Continue Smile using embroidery backstitch (see Pattern Notes). Weave in CA on inside of Hat.
- Thread yarn needle with CC from first Cheek. Position first Cheek in Rounds between Eyes and Smile as desired. With CC, whipstitch Cheek to Hat. Repeat with second Cheek. Weave in CC on side of Hat.