Willie is a gender-neutral crochet beanie pattern that you can make your way – snug fitting, or slouchy! The free version of the pattern is available in Teen/Adult Small, and you can also buy an ad-free PDF with nine additional sizes.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration.
For my version of this cozy beanie, I used King Cole Autumn Chunky. For the snug-fitting version, I used 5256 Chesnut (at left), and for the slouchy version, I used 5255 Frozen (at right). This is a lovely, multicolor roving yarn that is soft and warm. Autumn Chunky is available from your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK.
When I made my first version of this beanie, I’ll admit that I lost the game of yarn chicken. I didn’t have enough in Chesnut to make a slouchy hat, so I changed my idea at the last minute to make a snugger fitting hat.
I still had the itch — I needed to know how the slouchy beanie would turn out! So I made another version with the Frozen colorway since I had more skeins available.
I actually liked them both so much that I decided to write up the pattern with the option of choosing a snug- or slouchy-fit. I know there are different preferences for hat fit, so why not, right?
If you make your own Willie, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Willie pattern to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Willie Snug or Slouchy Beanie
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
Willie was the first pattern in the Weekend Mystery Crochet Alongs with Underground Crafter. This simple textured and gender-neutral beanie pattern can be finished in two ways: as a snug-fitting beanie or as a slouchy hat.
- The free version of this pattern below is available in one size: Teen/Adult Small: 21” (53.5cm) hat circumference. This is the size shown in the photographs, on a mannequin with 22.5” (57 cm) head circumference. The Slouchy Fit (at left) has 10” (25.5 cm) height. Snug Fit (at right) has 7” (18 cm) height.
- The ad-free PDF available on Ravelry includes the following sizes:
- Snug Sizes
- Newborn: 13” (33 cm) hat circumference x 5” (13 cm) height.
- 0-3 Months: 15” (38 cm) hat circumference x 5.5” (14 cm) height.
- 3-6 Months: 16” (40.5 cm) hat circumference x 6” (15 cm) height.
- 6-12 Months: 17” (43 cm) hat circumference x 6.25” (16 cm) height.
- 1-2 Years: 18” (45.5 cm) hat circumference x 6.5” (16.5 cm) height.
- 3-5 Years: 19” (48.5 cm) hat circumference x 6.75” (17 cm) height.
- 6-12 Years: 20” (51 cm) hat circumference x 7” (18 cm) height.
- Teen/Adult Small: 21” (53.5 cm) hat circumference x 7” (18 cm) height.
- Adult Medium: 22” (56 cm) hat circumference x 7.5” (19 cm) height.
- Adult Large: 23” (58.5 cm) hat circumference x 7.75” (19.5 cm) height.
- Slouchy Sizes
- Newborn: 13” (33 cm) hat circumference x 6.75” (17 cm) height.
- 0-3 Months: 15” (38 cm) hat circumference x 7.75” (19 cm) height.
- 3-6 Months: 16” (40.5 cm) hat circumference x 8” (20.5 cm) height.
- 6-12 Months: 17” (43 cm) hat circumference x 8.5” (21.5 cm) height.
- 1-2 Years: 18” (45.5 cm) hat circumference x 8.75” (22 cm) height.
- 3-5 Years: 19” (48.5 cm) hat circumference x 9.25” (23.5 cm) height.
- 6-12 Years: 20” (51 cm) hat circumference x 9.75” (25 cm) height.
- Teen/Adult Small: 21” (53.5 cm) hat circumference x 10” (25.5 cm) height.
- Adult Medium: 22” (56 cm) hat circumference x 10.5” (26.5 cm) height.
- Adult Large: 23” (58.5 cm) hat circumference x 10.75” (27.5 cm) height.
- King Cole Autumn Chunky yarn (80% acrylic/20% wool, 3 oz/100 g, 153 yd/140 m) – 2 skeins in your choice of color, or approximately 300 yd (274.5 m) in any bulky weight wool blend or acrylic yarn.
- Nelsonwood I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Nelsonwood J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Clover bent-tip yarn needle.
- 10 sts in pattern for Hat Band = 2.5″ (6.5 cm) across with smaller hook.
- 12 dc = 4″ (10 cm) across with larger hook.
- For best fit and size, check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- 3L – third (back) loop only – Moogly has a helpful video for identifying the third loop here.
- BL – back loop only – Fiber Flux has a helpful video for identifying the back loop here.
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- A helpful photo tutorial for cinching a bottom up hat closed is available here.
- Helpful tips for making pom poms are available here.
- With smaller hook, ch 11.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, [sl st in next ch, hdc in next ch] 5 times. (10 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, starting in first st [slst3L in next hdc, hdcBL in next sl st] 5 times.
- Rep Row 2 until piece measures 21” (53.5 cm) long. Do not fasten off.
- Continuing with smaller hook, fold piece in half along long edge. Join short edges with slip stitch seam (see video below).
- If you can’t see the video for the slip stitch seam above, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
Work Even: Crocheted in the Round
- Set Up Round: (Right Side) Ch 1, evenly work 76 sc around long edge (see video below), join with sl st to first sc. (76 sts)
- If you can’t see the video above for crocheting around the side of your project, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
- Switch to larger hook and begin working in the Round.
- Round 1: (Right Side) Ch 1, starting in same st [sc in next 2 sts, dc in next 2 sts] around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Round 2: Turn to Wrong Side, sl st to last dc of previous Round, ch 1, starting in same st [sc in next 2 dc, dc in next 2 sc] around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Round 3: Turn to Right Side, sl st to last dc of previous Round, ch 1, starting in same st [sc in next 2 dc, dc in next 2 sc] around, join with sl st to first sc.
Snug Hat Version
- Rep Rounds 2-3 until piece measures 7” (18 cm) long, ending after either Round. Continue on to Finishing.
Slouchy Hat Version
- Rep Rounds 2-3 until piece measures 10” (25.5 cm) long, ending after either Round. Continue on to Finishing.
- Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 36”/91.5 cm) for seaming.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail from top of beanie and cinch close (see Pattern Notes).
- Attach pom pom (see Pattern Notes), if desired.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of hat.