I’m excited to share the sixth pattern in the second annual Giftstravaganza Blog Hop and Crochet Along! The Frilly Dress Ornament is an easy crochet ornament that is also great for using up yarn scraps. It can be used as an adornment for gift wrap or you can even string them together to make a decorative bunting. The pattern is forever free on my blog
, but you can grab the coupon code to download it for free for a limited time as part of the Blog Hop, so read on for details!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
I’m back sharing an easy crochet ornament pattern for the second annual Giftstravaganza Blog Hop and Crochet Along! To join the Giftstravaganza Blog Hop and Crochet Along:
- Sign up for Crochet Along updates and the Underground Crafter newsletter to get regular updates, including an update as each CAL pattern is released. When you sign up, you’ll also get access to my subscriber vault which includes exclusive free PDF patterns, a coupon code for your choice of any crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop, and coupon codes from other indie designers and crafts businesses.
- Visit this blog post for links to each pattern as it goes live, and to enter the giveaway by December 4, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern for your chance to win a great prize.
- You can join in by crocheting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #GiftstravaganzaCAL on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crafters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group.
- By the end of the Crochet Along, you’ll have up to 30 awesome projects. Get ready for the handmade holiday season while having fun with us!
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Scroll down for the free pattern for the Frilly Dress Ornament. Ornaments make great last-minute gifts, and they are also a fun way to use up the yarn scraps from your last project. If you’re looking for more easy crochet ornaments, check out my patterns for the Little Dress Ornament, the Eastern Star Ornament, the Mini Christmas Tree Ornament, and the Mini Sweater Ornament.
If you’re reading this post before 6 am Eastern time on November 7, 2023, you’re in luck! My pattern is the featured design for November 6. Use coupon code FRILLY to download the PDF pattern for free on Ravelry, or click HERE or on the Giftstravaganza button below to add the pattern with coupon code to your Ravelry cart. Make sure the cart is set to $0.00 before checking out as there will be no refunds for accidental purchases. You can also scroll down for the free blog version of the pattern for the Frilly Dress Ornament.
If you make your own Frilly Dress Ornament, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter on on Instagram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Frilly Dress Ornament to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Frilly Dress Ornament
Easy Crochet Ornament Pattern by Underground Crafter
This easy crochet ornament makes a great last-minute gift and is a fabulous scrap yarn buster! This is the sixth pattern in the second annual Giftstravaganza Blog Hop and Crochet Along.
- Approximately 3.5” (9 cm) tall.
- Loops and Threads Impeccable yarn (100% acrylic, 4.5 oz/127.5 g/285 yd/260 m) – 1 skein each in Gold (CA) and Dark Emerald (CB), or approximately 30 yd (27.5 m) in each color in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size G-6/4 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Locking stitch markers.
- Yarn needle.
- I used the Ctcwsh ergonomic crochet hook set with stitch markers and yarn needles for my version.
- Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Stitches should be small so that project is stiff.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- pm – place stitch marker
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
-  Repeat stitches between brackets as indicated.
- Ch 1 at beginning and sl st at end of Rounds do not count as stitches.
- Do not fasten off colors unless indicated. Carry unworked yarn inside the ornament when changing colors.
- With CA, ch 16. Being careful not to twist, sl st to first ch to form a ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, starting in same ch, sc in each ch around, join CB with sl st to first sc. (16 sts)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, starting in same st, [2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts] around, join CA with sl st to first sc. (20 sts)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, starting in same st, [2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts] around, join CB with sl st to first sc. (24 sts)
- Rnd 4: Repeat Rnd 2 once. (30 sts)
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, starting in same st, [2 sc in next st, sc in next 14 sts] around, sl st to first sc. (32 sts)
- Rnd 6: Ch 1, sc in first 4 sts, skip 8 sts, sc in next 8 sts, skip 8 sts, sc in next 4 sts, join CB with sl st to first sc, fasten off CA. (16 sts)
Continue Shaping Dress
- Rnd 7: Ch 1, sc in first st and in next 15 sts, pm in last st to mark position. Begin crocheting in unjoined spirals, moving marker up each round.
- Rnd 8: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts] around. (20 sts)
- Rnd 9: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts] around. (24 sts)
- Rnd 10: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts] around. (28 sts)
- Rnd 11: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 6 sts] around. (32 sts)
- Rnd 12: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 7 sts] around. (36 sts)
- Rnd 13: Sc in each st around.
- Rnd 14: [Sc in next st, ch 2, skip 1 st] around, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CB. (18 sc + 18 ch-2 spaces)
- Rnd 1: Join CA with sl st to any skipped st from Rnd 6, ch 1, sc in same st and next 7 skipped sts, pm to mark position. Begin crocheting in unjoined spirals, moving marker up each round.
- Rnd 2: Sc in each st around.
- Rnds 3-4: Repeat Rnd 2, twice. Fasten off CA.
- Repeat as for First Arm into opposite armhole.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of dress.
- Cut a piece of CA approximately 12” (30.5 cm) long. Thread yarn needle with piece of CA, bring the yarn through a stitch at center of the first round on the back of the dress. Fold yarn strand in half and knot at your preferred length. Cut off remaining yarn tails.