I’m sharing a collection of 10 crochet hippopotamus patterns in today’s roundup! This pattern collection includes including softies, rattles, a lovey, a blanket block, a pillow, and a hat!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
10 Crochet Hippopotamus Patterns
Hippopotami are native to sub-Saharan Africa and are the some of the largest land mammals out there (after elephants and rhinos). They can weigh up to 8,000 pounds. By day, they live in the water to stay cool while they spend the night on land, eating grasses and fruits. Hippos are popular animals in zoos around the world.
World Hippo Day is an annual celebration on February 15 to raise awareness of hippos, which currently have the conservation status of “vulnerable” because they are threatened by habitat loss and poaching. You can learn more and contribute to their preservation through the World Wildlife Fund. In this roundup, I’m sharing 10 fabulous and free crochet hippopotamus patterns for all ages!
- Hippo Lovey by The Blue Elephants: This adorable hippo lovey is a simple pattern that uses basic shapes and stitches.
- Hattie the Hippo Rattle by Chai Coffee Crochet: This pattern is one of several free crochet animal rattle patterns.
- Hippo Amigurumi by Loops and Love Crochet: This huggable hippo measures approximately 12” (20.5 cm) tall.
- Heather the Hippo via Lion Brand: This 8” (20.5 cm) tall amigurumi wears a skirt and top.
- Happy Hubert the Hippo Pillow by YARNutopia: This child-sized pillow pattern includes a video tutorial.
- Nelly the Hippo by Lucia Forthmann: This 13” (30 cm) softie is excerpted from Cuddly Animals to Crochet: 28 Cute Toys to Make and Love.
- Hippo Rattle by Crochet 365 Knit Too: This pattern uses a toy rattle noise insert.
- Hippo Hat by Repeat Crafter Me: This earflap hat pattern is available in 6 child and adult sizes.
- Holly the Hippo by The Blue Elephants: This 9” (23 cm) softie has a ballerina dress.
- Hippo C2C Square by My Hobby Is Crochet: This is one of 29 corner-to-corner crochet patterns in the Wildlife Graphghan Crochet Along.
Didn’t find the perfect crochet hippopotamus pattern or still looking for more crochet animal inspiration? Check out 40 free crochet animal patterns!