We’ve come to the end of the second week of our third annual Christmas in July Make Along, which means it must be time for a roundup! Today I’m sharing over 39 free handmade gift ideas for women. This roundup includes crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns for garments and accessories for women, along with links to even more patterns and projects to inspire you.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
39+ Handmade Gift Ideas for Women
It’s never too early to get a jump start on the handmade holidays! Today’s roundup includes 39+ free crochet and knitting patterns for handmade gift ideas for women. Find your next project in this collection of cardigans and pullovers, shawls and cowls, headbands and earwarmers, and even more fun gift ideas for women!
This pattern is part of the Christmas in July Make Along, with 31 days of free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns and crafts tutorials by 27 bloggers, along with your chance to win a prize from one of our favorite companies — AndeanSun Yarns, Clover USA, Crosscut Sewing Co., Eucalan, Hooked for Life, Hummingbird Lane Fabrics, Knitter’s Pride, and Kraemer Yarns. Get all the Christmas in July Make Along details here and don’t forget to enter the giveaway by Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
Join the Christmas in July Make Along
- Sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter to get updates with included patterns throughout the Make Along.
- You can join in by crocheting, knitting, sewing, or making the projects as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CIJMakeAlong2021 on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crafters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group
- By the end of the Make Along, you’ll have up to 31 awesome projects. Get ready for the handmade holiday season while having fun with us!
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
24 Crochet Patterns
These 24 free crochet patterns for gifts for women include cardigans and pullovers, socks and slippers, headbands and hats, cowls and scarves, and more!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Falling Leaves Wrap by Elena and Kamila: This lacy shell stitch wrap makes a wonderful gift.
- Savannah Fashion Headband by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This textured headband pattern is available in 3 adult sizes.
- Diamond Ladder Cowl by Ned and Mimi: This ultra cozy tapestry crochet cowl is crocheted in continuous, unjoined rounds.
- Alix Shawl by Divine Debris: This long wrap is one of many free crochet patterns in the Alix line.
- Bow-To-Go Clutch Purse by Winding Road Crochet: This pattern includes both child and adult sizes for a perfect mommy and me gift.
- Bella Rose Shawl by Wilmade: This two-skein triangular wrap pattern combines filet crochet with a simple mesh and includes a video tutorial.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Polar Rush Capelet by Straight Hooked: This pattern includes 3 photo tutorials for the special stitches. The free version of this pattern is available in medium. The ad-free PDF for sale includes additional sizing from S through XXL.
- Kritika Slippers by Knitter Knotter: The free version of this Tunisian crochet slipper pattern is available in women’s size 8. The ad-free PDF for sale includes 9 baby and women’s sizes.
- Artfully Simple Angled Wrap by Moogly: This lacy one-skein project uses the same stitching as the Artfully Simple Angled Scarf and the Artfully Simple Infinity Scarf.
- Mezzo Cardigan by Make and Do Crew: This hexagon cardigan pattern is available in 7 sizes from S through 4X. The pattern was originally released as a crochet along and is available in 4 parts.
- Hedgehog Slipper Socks by ACCROchet: The pattern for these cozy, toe-up socks is available in 5 adults sizes from X-Small through X-Large.
- Sunset Butterflies Shawl by Beatrice Ryan Designs: This simple shawl is crocheted with a self-striping yarn to make colorwork easy.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Mountain Leg Warmers by Blue Star Crochet: This pattern for cozy, textured legwarmers includes instructions for adjusting the size.
- Linley Ear Warmer by Through the Loop Yarn Craft: This simple ear warmer pattern includes a video tutorial.
- Any Time Cardigan by Dora Does: (Note: This pattern is no longer available for free.) This seamless top-down round yoke cardigan pattern is available in 7 adult sizes from XS through 3X.
- Confetti Scarf by My Poppet: This decorative scarf is a great project for using scrap yarn.
- Bobble Stitch Raglan Cardigan by Joy of Motion Crochet: This pattern is available in 9 adult sizes from XS through 5XL.
- Raspberry Beret by Littlejohn’s Yarn: This fashionable beret pattern also includes a video tutorial.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Rainbow After the Storm Slouchy Hat by Crafty Kitty Crochet: This bright and textured slouchy hat pattern matches the Rainbow After the Storm Pocket Shawl.
- Precious Metals Cowl by Fiber Flux: This Tunisian crochet pattern is designed with a self-striping yarn and includes a video tutorial.
- Bonnie Tunic by I Need It Crochet for Hooked on Patterns: This dramatic tunic pattern is designed in 9 sizes from XS through 5X.
- Coffee Bean Cowl by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This cozy, ribbed cowl pattern matches the Coffee Bean Hat.
- Basic V-Neck Sweater by Heart Hook Home: This pattern is available in 9 sizes from XS through 5X and can be made with or without sleeves.
- Cover Me Ruana by Craft-Her: This project is like wearing a big hug! The pattern includes instructions for adjusting the size.
9 Knitting Patterns
These 9 free knitting patterns include pullovers and cardigans, shawls and ponchos, a cowl, a clutch, and an earwarmer!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Date Night Clutch by Stitches n Scraps: This easy knit pattern includes an optional lining.
- Color-Blocked Pocket Scarf by Underground Crafter: This beginner-friendly knit pattern works up faster in super bulky yarn.
- Easy Vibes Slouchy Pullover by Mama in a Stitch: This simple, oversized pullover pattern includes trendy bubble sleeves and is available in 5 adult sizes from S through XXL.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Ridgeline Cardigan by All About Ami: This textured, seamless cardigan pattern is available in 4 sizes from Small/Medium through 4X/5X.
- Cubist Poncho by ABC Knitting Patterns: This seamless, top-down poncho pattern uses self-striping yarn to make the colorwork easy and is available in 6 sizes from S through 3X.
- Collectedness the Cowl by Skeinsnsticks Designs: This relaxing knit pattern is the perfect introduction to Intarsia knitting.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Varicolored Ear Warmer by Hooked for Life: This textured ear warmer pattern is knit with a self-striping yarn and the seam is a design feature that can be worn at front or back.
- Stay Home and Be Cozy Cardigan by Handy Little Me: This oversized, relaxed cardigan pattern is available in 4 sizes from S through 1X+2X.
- Petal Sweater by Knit a Bit, Crochet Away: This striped pullover pattern with Raglan sleeves is available in 5 sizes from XS through XL.
6 Sewing Patterns
These 6 free sewing patterns include scarves, a bag and a tote, pajama shorts, and a hair turban!
Clockwise from top left corner:
- Messenger Bag by Crazy Little Projects: This messenger bag pattern includes step-by-step photos along with a video tutorial for seaming the bag together.
- Triangle Scarf by Heather Handmade via AllFreeSewing: This beginner-friendly scarf is embellilshed with tassels.
- Simple Fringe Scarf by Elizabeth Made This via AllFreeSewing: This simple scarf pattern includes 3 options for making fringe.
- PJ Shorts by Life Sew Savory: These shorts are perfect for lounging and can be made with cotton sheets or knit fabric. Pattern includes 8 sizes from XXS through 3XL with or without pockets
- 15-Minute Hair Towel Wrap by Hello Sewing via AllFreeSewing: This towel turban absorbs tons of water because it’s made from a bath towel. Includes video tutorial.
- Easy Manicure Kit by Happiest Camper via AllFreeSewing: This simple pattern makes a great portable kit to gift to anyone who enjoys traveling.
Still looking for more handmade gift idea inspiration? Check out these roundups for even more handmade gift ideas for women!