We’ve come to the end of the first week of our third annual Christmas in July Make Along, which means it must be time for a roundup! Today I’m sharing 38 free handmade gift ideas for kids. This roundup includes crochet and knitting patterns for softies and amigurumi, accessories and garments, and more for babies, kids, and teens, along with links to more than 90 more projects to inspire.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
38+ Handmade Gift Ideas for Kids
It’s never too early to get a jump start on the handmade holidays! Today’s roundup includes 38+ free crochet and knitting patterns for handmade gift ideas for kids. Find your next project in this collection of softies and amigurumi, garments and accessories, and other fun stuff for babies, kids, and teens!
This pattern is part of the Christmas in July Make Along, with 31 days of free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns and crafts tutorials by 27 bloggers, along with your chance to win a prize from one of our favorite companies — AndeanSun Yarns, Clover USA, Crosscut Sewing Co., Eucalan, Hooked for Life, Hummingbird Lane Fabrics, Knitter’s Pride, and Kraemer Yarns. Get all the Christmas in July Make Along details here and don’t forget to enter the giveaway by Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
Join the Christmas in July Make Along
- Sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter to get updates with included patterns throughout the Make Along.
- You can join in by crocheting, knitting, sewing, or making the projects as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CIJMakeAlong2021 on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crafters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group
- By the end of the Make Along, you’ll have up to 31 awesome projects. Get ready for the handmade holiday season while having fun with us!
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
29 Crochet Patterns
These free crochet patterns include softies and amigurumi, hats, accessories and garments, and more for babies, kids, and teens!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Easy Sword and Shield by Winding Road Crochet: This set is perfect for fighting off bad dreams or for dress up time.
- Kawaii Crayon by Jen Hayes Creations: This set of free patterns (including Kawaii Pencil and Kawaii Colored Pencil) is great for play time!
- Gracie Doll by A Crafty Concept: This adorable doll pattern includes video tutorials and a printable adoption certificate.
- Mr. Chompy by The Loopy Lamb: This friendly monster makes a great playtime buddy.
- Triceratops by 5 Little Monsters: This softie makes a great gift for a kid who loves dinosaurs.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Wildberry Hat by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This cozy hat pattern is available in five child and adult sizes. Self-striping yarn makes the colorwork easy.
- Cactus Beanie by Raffamusa Designs: This soft and cozy beanie pattern is available in four infant and toddler sizes.
- Santa Suit Sack Hat by Underground Crafter: This easy peasy pattern is available in ten infant, child, and adult sizes so you can make a set for the entire family.
- Bella Bonnet by ChristaCoDesign: This pixie-style bonnet pattern is available in eight sizes from infant through adult.
- 3-Stitch Baby Hat by Edie Eckman: The free version of this adorable pattern is sized to fit 0-3 months.
- Quentin Tunisian Scarf Set by Creations by Courtney: This scarf and hat set pattern is available in three sizes for toddler, child, and teen.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Gingerbread Pal by Underground Crafter: This simple pattern is part of an amigurumi series that includes Caterina the Cat, Polar Bear, Seal, and Baby Penguin.
- Aspen Fingerless Gloves by The Roving Nomad: These easy granny square mitts work up quickly in super bulky yarn and make perfect texting mitts.
- Avocado Softie by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This adorable project is nicknamed the Avocuddle Softie.
- Gigi Giraffe by Crochet 365 Knit Too: This adorable softie herbivore is part of the Tamingo series of amigurumi patterns.
- Byron Bear by Nicole Chase: This adorable bear with a chubby belly requires minimal sewing.
- Smiley the Baby Sloth by Stitches n Scraps: This pattern is part of the Baby Buddies series.
Fourth column, from top to bottom:
- Axolotl by Oombawka Design Crochet: This salamander amigurumi is ideal for Minecraft fans.
- Piggie Smalls by The Loopy Lamb: This amigurumi farm animal pattern is designed with minimal sewing and includes helpful technique videos.
- Nelson the Sock Monkey by Underground Crafter: This amigurumi pattern is inspired by the nostalgia of sewn sock monkeys.
- Cupcake Amigurumi by Spin a Yarn: The customization options for this sweet softie treat are nearly endless.
- Melly Teddy Ragdoll Mr. Fox by MandMCrochetDesigns: This adorable fox pattern is a cross between a softie and a lovey.
- Peppermint the Polar Bear by Crystalized Designs: This softie is crocheted with faux fur yarn for a plush feel.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Penguin Sweater by By Katerina for Hobbii: This cozy pullover is available in four infant through child sizes.
- Teen Spa Day Soap Sack by The Lindsey Life: This quick and easy pattern makes a great gift for teens. Just add spa or bath items!
- Bobblehead Gingerbread Lovey by Underground Crafter: This adorable cuddle blanket provides comfort during the holiday season.
- Baby Crew Socks by Rich Textures Crochet: These cozy socks are available in four infant and toddler sizes.
- Unicorn Basket by Crafty Kitty Crochet: This adorable basket makes a great gift on its own, or stuff it with smaller items like stocking stuffers.
- Mouse by Tiny Curl: This adorable amigurumi rodent wears a little scarf. The pattern includes instructions for an optional ornament hanger.
9 Knitting Patterns
These free knitting patterns include hats, pullover sweaters, and pillows for babies, kids, and teens.
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Carten by RV Designs: This beanie pattern is stretchy enough to fit kids, teens, or adults.
- Never Easier Hat by Knitting with Chopsticks: This simple beanie is knit on straight needles and the pattern is available in six sizes from preemie through adult.
- Baby Bear Pullover via Lion Brand: This cute pattern made with self-striping yarn is available in six infant through child sizes.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Jema Baby Hat by Marianna’s Lazy Daisy Days: This sweet pattern makes an adorable newborn hat.
- Granville Hooded Pullover via Lion Brand: This denim-inspired sweater pattern is available in three child sizes.
- Kiwi Hat by Little Red Window: This colorful beanie pattern is available for free in the 12-month size.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Fox and Deer Cushions via Deramores: The adorable pattern by Knitola is also available as a kit with yarn included.
- Wander Sweater by Briana K Designs: This simple, gender-neutral pullover pattern is available in 11 child and adult sizes.
- Trio Toboggan by Two of Wands: This Fair Isle colorwork pattern is available in three child and adult sizes.
Still looking for more handmade gift idea inspiration? Check out these roundups for over 90 more handmade gift ideas for kids!
- 30 Free DIY Unicorn Projects including crochet and knitting patterns, sewing projects, and crafts tutorials;
- 25 Free Polar Bear Patterns to Crochet and Knit; and
- 36+ Free Handmade Gift Ideas for Children including crochet, knit, and sewing patterns.