Earlier this year, I asked my newsletter subscribers about their favorite crafts projects for warmer weather. It turns out that many of my readers turn to granny squares when temperatures rise. It’s no surprise, since crocheted motifs are portable and use just a small amount of yarn (including scrap yarn from other projects). Granny squares also just happen to be my go-to stress relief projects and my favorite charity projects. Oh, and they’re just plain cute!
Since that survey, I’ve been planning a way to highlight granny squares on the blog as soon as warmer weather hit, and I’m excited to kick off Granny Square Month! Every day in June, I’ll be sharing a post related to granny squares, including free crochet patterns, roundups, book reviews, giveaways, tips, and tutorials. I hope all of this granny square love will give you plenty of inspiration for the whole summer.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
But, first, let’s clear up a controversy within the crochet community: What is a granny square?
Technically, only the squares based on the original, 1890 Weldon and Company of London printed pattern (like the one I use in the Mod 9-Patch Blanket) should be called granny squares. All other crochet patterns for squares are supposed to be called motifs, blocks, or squares, but not “granny” squares.
Does this mean I’m going to spend 30 days showing you the same pattern? Um, no.
Although some crocheters get upset by what they see as a misuse of the term granny square, I am quite comfortable with using “granny square” to mean “a square that is crocheted.” In this month’s festivities, I’ll even be including some non-square patterns using the traditional granny square stitch pattern AND some crochet motifs in other shapes.
There are real controversies in the world. Let’s not quibble over minor ones like which motifs can be called granny squares.
So, how can you join in on Granny Square Month?
- Follow along here on Underground Crafter. I’ll update this post with links to other posts throughout the month.
- Subscribe to my newsletter to get a weekly collection of links in your inbox! (You also get other goodies, including a coupon code good for your choice of crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop.)
- Chat with other crocheters in the Facebook or Ravelry groups.
- Tag your granny square patterns with #grannysquaremonth on social media. If you use one of my patterns or tutorials, tag me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter.
- Let your crochet friends know about it! Share this post on your favorite social network or give out the link to this post (http://undergroundcrafter.com/blog/2017/06/01/granny-square-month-2017/) in your local yarn shop, crochet guild, or craft night.
Here are a few granny square resources to get you started.
Here are some of my existing granny square patterns, tips and tutorials, and roundups. Click on the image to go to the post.
Granny Square Month Schedule
I’ll be updating this list throughout the month to include the links as new posts go live. These links will remain up after Granny Square Month so you can come back and use this page as a resource.
- June 1: Introduction to Granny Square Month (this post)
- June 2: Crochet Pattern: Simple Rectangular Granny Blanket
- June 3: Roundup: 25 (Mostly Free) Granny Square Patterns in Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice Yarn
- June 4: Roundup: 12 More Free Crochet Patterns for 6″ (15 cm) Squares
- June 5: Book review: Melissa Leapman’s Beginner’s Guide to Crochet Motifs (with giveaway)
- June 6: Book review: Candi Jensen and Heather Vantress’s Learn to Crochet Circles into Squares (with giveaway)
- June 7: Roundup: 15 Free Crochet Patterns for Granny Squares and Motif Blankets in Lion Brand Heartland Yarn
- June 8: Crochet Pattern: Concentric Circles Granny Square
- June 9: Book review with crochet pattern: Margaret Hubert’s Granny Square Flower Garden: Instructions for Blanket with Choice of 12 Squares
- June 10: Roundup: 15 Unique Granny Square Finds for Your Favorite Crochet Lover from Etsy Sellers
- June 11: Roundup: 12 Free Crochet Patterns for Granny Squares and Motif Blankets in Red Heart With Love Yarn
- June 12: Crochet Patterns:
- June 13: Roundup: 20 Free 12″ (30.5 cm) Granny Square Crochet Patterns
- June 14: Roundup: 30 Crochet Granny Square Patterns with Video Tutorials
- June 15: Book review: Granny Square Baby Afghans by Carol Holding (with giveaway)
- June 16: Roundup: 20+ Granny Square Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials That Will Rock Your (Crochet) World
- June 17: Book review: 99 Granny Squares (with giveaway)
- June 18: Book review: 50 Fabulous Crochet Squares (with giveaway)
- June 19: Book review with crochet pattern: Butterfly Garden Square by Chris Simon from Margaret Hubert’s The Granny Square Book: Second Edition: Timeless Techniques & Fresh Ideas for Crocheting Square by Square
- June 20: Book review: Amanda Perkins’ Rainbow Crocheted Afghans: A Block-by-Block Guide to Creating 10 Colorful Blankets and Throws (with giveaway)
- June 21: Roundup: 40 Free Crochet Patterns for Granny-Inspired Women’s Accessories and Garments
- June 22: Roundup: 16 Free Crochet Hexagon Patterns
- June 23: Book review with crochet pattern: Margaret Hubert’s Granny Square Flowers: 50 Botanical Crochet Motifs and 15 Original Projects
- June 24: Crochet Pattern: Traditional Granny Square
- June 25: Crochet Pattern: Traditional Granny Half-Square Triangle
- June 26: Crochet Pattern: Granny in the Corner
- June 27: Crochet Pattern: Double Crochet Granny Square
- June 28: Crochet Pattern: Sunshine Granny Square
- June 29: Crochet Pattern: Windmill Granny Square
- June 30: Crochet Pattern: Classic Granny with a Twist Blanket
Thanks for being part of Granny Square Month! I can’t wait to see what you come up with.